Advice on HiFi stand

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gordy15, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Gordy15

Gordy15

hi all,
    I would welcome any sensible advice on the best stand to buy for my system. I am looking for a stand to take two (heavy) separates plus a top shelf for turntable. would prefer glass but option open. Price range £100- £200. Trouble is there is too much choice out there.

Appreciate your comments

Gordy15, Dec 27, 2006
  2. Gordy15

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'd advise that it's not really going to make a sonic difference, so just go with one you like the look of.

If you want to save money get it on e-bay.

bottleneck, Dec 27, 2006
  3. Gordy15

rollo

Gordy15,
    I agree with Bottleneck,that the stand will not add to the sonic benifit,however how you couple the equip. will make a BIG difference.If you opt for a glass stand make sure you isolate your component with some type of wood.If you do not want to spend alot of money try inexpensive speaker stands with a wood platform attached to it.Then isolate component with either cones or the footer of your choice.
    I use Target stands with a sand box screwed to the stand.A wood slab sits in the sand and the component sits on cones or footers.
    Not familiar with your decor so no recco's on manf. stands.Try the Music Direct site.They have many choices, but check out Salamander line
    Hope this helps.
    rollo

rollo, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Gordy15

zanash

There very sweeping statments ...without [I presume having seen or heard your system]

having heard first hand the difference a quadraspire equpiment stands can make I'd suggest you check these out.

Alternatively build your own ...TNT audio have several plans for a good design

zanash, Dec 28, 2006
  5. Gordy15

early

Different materials DO make sonic differences .

I have done a bit of experimentation recently and found marked
    differences , the mass market standard of metal and glass seems
    to make music seem thin and brittle , MDF seems to make lower
    register notes thunk with no tune to them .

If you want to go down diy route I can highly recommend the
    ikea lack rack , this can be made for less than £ 30 and take
    less than one hour .

It's quite a common mod and there's plenty of info on the net .

early, Dec 28, 2006
  6. Gordy15

b1u3print

So you believe that the Ikea lack table made of - Particleboard, fibreboard, ABS plastic, Acrylic paint/lacquer with paper internals - Causes a sonic improvement to your system when compared to commercially available glass/metal or MDF designs?

If done properly the Lack racks can certainly improve the look of your system, but I find it very hard to believe that they would improve the sound.

b1u3print, Dec 29, 2006
  7. Gordy15

early

The Ikea lack rack uses the same principles as Russ Andrews
    Torlyte products and he can sell them for hundreds of pounds .

I don't think racks improve sound , but some do detract from
    the sound , the best hifi equipment be it a rack or a cable should
    add nothing to the sound .

early, Dec 29, 2006
  8. Gordy15

b1u3print

Well if the lack table shares a mild resemblance to a Russ Andrews product that people are prepared to pay hundreds of pounds for it MUST work. How foolish of me to think otherwise. The principal of the lack table is closer to that of a cheap hollow interior door than that of a Torlyte rack though.

Every component of your Hi-Fi (regardless of how expensive) is a compromise - The perfect rack (or cable) doesn't exist, so any new rack (or cable) that differs in materials and construction from what you where using previously (providing you can hear sonic differences between them as you state in your original post), is bound to either improve or detract.

b1u3print, Dec 30, 2006
Ask a Question