Advice on MM cartridge

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by VinylLover, Feb 16, 2008.

1. VinylLover

VinylLover

I've offered to help a friend set-up his TD160 TT & SME 3009 Series III arm. However he doesn't have a cartridge and it is a long time since I have used a MM cartridge so I'm bit out of touch. The amp is an Arcam 5 Plus if it helps.

Thanks for any advice.

Gordon

VinylLover, Feb 16, 2008
  2. VinylLover

JackOTrades

This is of course very subjective and depends mainly on two things:
    - listening tastes
    - budget

However, ortofon has come out with a fairly new(ish) range of MMs that got good reviews so that could be an option. They give you a good set of flavours with varied price points.

Grados are also good, the Goldring 1042 is a classic, and then you have the option of High Output MCs like the Denon DL-160 (that I particularly like) or for a bit more money something like a Sumiko BPS Evo III.

Cheers,
    Jack

JackOTrades, Feb 17, 2008
  3. VinylLover

towaho towaho

Hi
    For this arm I use a goldring eroica high output moving coil. I'm very pleased. the rest of my gear is all musical fidelity.

Tony

towaho, Feb 18, 2008
  4. VinylLover

VinylLover

Thanks very much for the suggestions:)

VinylLover, Feb 18, 2008
  5. VinylLover

matt-powell

hello rather scary this i have almost exactly the same setup, arcam alpha 5 amp td160b TT sme 3009 arm (fixed headshell) currently with a shure cartridge (a md95? can't quite remember think the stylus is a ed72? ) was told by my local shops that the stylus was unavailable as a genuine part,have been offered a goldring electra by richer sounds and various ortofon by the other shops, anyone got any recommendations, want something cheap, up to £70 at a push much happier at £50 (as will my lass) i'm in newcastle upon tyne if anyone knows the stores and can point me to their favorite) i play a wide range of styles, blues, jazz, soul rock and classical.
    the player was a gift, not sure how old the current cartridge is want to change it mainly for peace of mind.
    what about the replacement stylii that are available on the net? are they any good? if i could just replace the stylus then i can put the rest of the money towards more lps or some better speakers.

very sorry to the original poster for hijacking the thread, hopefully any more replies will help us both

Matt

matt-powell, Feb 19, 2008
  6. VinylLover

Andy 831

Vinyl Lover I sometimes use a Thorens TD 160 with a Thorens TP16 arm. I was knocked out when I used it with the Sumiko BPS Evo 3 so maybe a cheaper Sumiko might work equally as well.

Andy 831, Feb 19, 2008
  7. VinylLover

matt-powell

Hello Andy guess you mean the blue point special, i could run to the pearl i guess, any ideas on uk stockists?

Thanks
    Matt

matt-powell, Feb 19, 2008
Ask a Question