Advice on my museings (again - sorry)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Sep 30, 2003.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

I have fairly much made the decision to go DIY on a power amp, either Avondale or LC Audio. As was mentioned to me by Sideshowbob and Bottleneck, it may well be a good idea to invest in a different amp. Something with a tad more welly.
    My only stumbling point is the obvious lack of audition with such a scheme as DIY. But reading through forums/reviews i cant help but think that the final list is some quality kit.
    Now, i have decide to sell that motorbike project that has sat in the garage for 5 years, this could (fingers crossed) quite bennificialy modify my budget. So now 2 choices.
    1 - Take all money and buy gurt big whopping amp
    2 - Take some money and go DIY, maybe some better cable thrown in and spend the rest on music/holiday/beer/fairy dust

So if anyone has an honest opinion on the ideas above, IE will i achieve a good level with the DIY route................

penance, Sep 30, 2003
  2. penance

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Andy, from my humble experiance, I feel a more balanced approach is need, spread the load, a mullet system I feel doesn't produce the goods as well as it could do, also having a **** off pair of speakers being driven by an average amp say a dynavector, is also a bit unfortunate :rolleyes:
    2 things to remember all the best systems are these

1. Simple
    2. Well balanced

Saying that, if you inclined to chuck a large wad at say a 270se transport and MSB Platunium pre/dac, I'd like to do an 270, as practice before I acquire one cheers Mate :)

wadia-miester, Sep 30, 2003
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Tone i wouldnt say yours was humble experiance;)
    Can you explain a tad more what you mean by a balanced aproach?
    And why my museing may not be balanced, no dig, just need some help and advice

sorry, transport is not on the cards:p

penance, Sep 30, 2003
  4. penance

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Ok Andy, well, I'd start with a decent used amp (4bst around the £1200-1400 mark), a nice pair of speakers for around £1200 ex-demo too, and some better cables, to help complement the purchases, any good cables will o the job, however some have been known to be some what better than others though.
    Also selling some of your current line will help with the drinking voucher situation :) T.

wadia-miester, Sep 30, 2003
  5. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

ah, well were getting off the financial mark there mate. looking at house move next year so im trying to get a halfway decent set before serious saveing kicks in.
    Sorry, but the dynaudio's are staying:eek:
    If i threw 12-1400 quid at an amp that would be it, so hence my other ideas.
    I should of said that my budget at the moment is around 500, if i sell the bike i may get to 1000 - 12000. (sad but half finished streetfighters aint worth so much)
    I appreciate what your saying, just out of my reach at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2003
    penance, Sep 30, 2003
Ask a Question