Advice on phono stage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Colin2040, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Colin2040

Colin2040

I have been using my turntable through a Dynavector phonostage,a Shure V15VxMR when I decided time for a change and put in my Benz silver high output mc. I havent used it since I had my WAD phono and it was a cartridge I liked but now it sounds too lean , a bit anaemic if you know what I mean. iT WAS PERFECTLY OK WITH THE wad as was the shure.So I have been thinking that a new phono kit was possibly needed and had been considering some that are available.
    I wondered if anyone had experience of the following,Bottleneck,K and K ,I have considered an Audionote as I had one before or do I reconsider the WAD PHONO.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated,I have tried various but I am now considering if I really need a valve phono back again.

Colin2040, Apr 7, 2008
  2. Colin2040

monya

Have you considered the Bellari phono stage? Has a tube and volume control. Use it myself if playing vinyl. About £150

monya, Apr 8, 2008
  3. Colin2040

Colin2040

To be honest I hadnt,thought about it prior to the Dynavector and it gets good reviews.I suppose for the money it cant be bad.I think that I would really go down the kit route though as the ability to tweak it is a reasonably cheap future upgrade route.If I can get a hold of one I may try it out though.

Colin2040, Apr 8, 2008
  4. Colin2040

hifi addict

Oh! Oh! I know one... O' Drats I can't say. Dang!:chop:

hifi addict, Apr 8, 2008
  5. Colin2040

lordsummit moderate mod

It sounds like a set-up issue. It could well be that the Benz needs a different impedence or load at the phono stage from the Shure. The Shure is quiet beefy, I know I had one, so maybe you've just got used to it's presentation.

Hi-fi Addict, if you aren't selling it or making it of course you may say :)

lordsummit, Apr 8, 2008
  6. Colin2040

lordsummit moderate mod

A quick look round the web suggest that the Benz needs a load of 1000 ohm. If I'm not mistaken most MM stages are 47K, so you've got an impedence mismatch. Someone cleverer than me will be along shortly to tell you how to solve it I hope.

Regards

lordsummit, Apr 8, 2008
  7. Colin2040

hifi addict

I recommend the ASR Mini Basis or the Aqvox phonostage. Both German and both have settings options.

Only kidding LS;)

hifi addict, Apr 8, 2008
  8. Colin2040

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

And in my experience, that would definitely be audible!

I'm not sure about the recommendation of the AQVOX though. If I recall, HFWs measurements showed that it was heavily rolled-off in the bass region (apparently something to do with German equalisation standards?), so that might not suit your setup.

VTA can have a surprisingly large impact on bass. Have you adjusted the height of your tonearm since adding the Benz? 1mm changes are clearly audible in my system, especially in the bass region. Experiement first, and take time to calibrating everything properly. It could save you a lot of money....

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 8, 2008
  9. Colin2040

Colin2040

I did reset everything when I refitted the benz cartridge I think it needs another little tweak to get it just right but it was the fact that it was fine with the WAD phono and clearly doesnt like the Dynavector. I did e mail a dealer about the ASR at the time I bought the Dynavector but I am still waiting for a response a year later.I'll have another look at it tonight but I think its more to do with the phono.

Colin2040, Apr 8, 2008
  10. Colin2040

hifi addict

The problem with the AQVOX was the volume control on the front every time I changed it it changed the sound. The reason I recommended it is that once i had it set up right I was excellent, and very versatile.

Colin where about in the country are you. I may point you in the right direction for the phono stage. Andrew Harrison just did a MM cartridge shoot out and said he had a decent variable Phono Stage.

You could try Keith with one of his Allnic's they do an cheaper version. And i have to say The Allnic is the best I have had a chance to listen to. You could speak to Geoff at Servicesound in Bexhill on Sea. He has some interesting phonostage designs 01424 216245

hifi addict, Apr 8, 2008
  11. Colin2040

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Not too sure what's best at the £500 phono stage range these days, but I've only heard good things about Graham Slee and Acoustech (v popular in the USA). Possibly something from Whest or CI Audio? Trichord even?

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 8, 2008
  12. Colin2040

lordsummit moderate mod

If you can find a Loricraft Missing Link they are amazing for the money. I paid £450 for mine

lordsummit, Apr 8, 2008
  13. Colin2040

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I loved my Whest...

SMEagol, Apr 8, 2008
  14. Colin2040

Colin2040

I liked the whest as well thought it was one of the best performers I hade heard but I have an urge to build something, and have been looking at kits and designs. Thought about a dact and power modules but it starts to get expensive and takes you into pretty top division off the shelf units.

Colin2040, Apr 8, 2008
  15. Colin2040

Colin2040

Oh forgot I am not far from Edinburgh I believe the Fife Rivierra is the term applied somewhere else on zerogain

Colin2040, Apr 8, 2008
  16. Colin2040

hifi addict

Have a chat with Dave from Manger Audio and Steve from Select Audio. Not quite as far North as you. Steve has probably a selection and has been collecting hifi for years.

hifi addict, Apr 8, 2008
  17. Colin2040

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

which I now have - and it sounds very good too, just waiting for new amp to turn up to try it with.

But - I do like the EAR valve phono stages.

larkrise, Apr 8, 2008
  18. Colin2040

lordsummit moderate mod

If you go over to PFM, search for the quest for a phono stage that Jonathan Ribbee went through, he tried all the main contenders. Was very interesting.

lordsummit, Apr 8, 2008
  19. Colin2040

Colin2040

Thanks for all the suggestions and input.I will check out my turntable first and then research all the names put forward.

Colin2040, Apr 8, 2008
  20. Colin2040

Coltrane

I say Ayre

I own an Ayre P5-xe which definetely does not have a lack of bass problem also look at the Plinius KORU PHONO PREAMPLIFIER.

Coltrane, Apr 9, 2008
Ask a Question