advice on replacement gear

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by taz, Mar 30, 2011.

1. taz

taz

Ok guys I have a limited budget and since I am expecting to buy s/h i doubt demo's will be going on, so, I need an Amp or CD player to start with. poss the CD first.
    I have a budget of around £800 - £1000 for a second hand CD spinner. I also have £1300 for speakers but will pick them later, I listen too quite a bit of female vocals, some rock, but at low to mid volume, I don't play loud much and I wan't some thing that has a really good sound stage and dynamics, lots of detail and that "in the room with you" sort of presentation, the room is a normal living room with furniture and 15' x 12' wide and the hifi fires down the length of the room. I saw a Shanling SCD-T200 that looked nice for £850 but I have never heard any Shanling gear but i have owned valve gear before and it was good stuff (audio innovations) I would like some thing that conveys the emotion in vocals not just the sound if possible so any recomendations happily accepted, i'm not looking at DAC's and PC's just a good old silver disc spinner
    thanks

taz, Mar 30, 2011
  2. taz

Neil

I would - seriously - go down to Richer Sounds (I know....but bear with me here.....) and have a listen to the Cambridge Audio 840C:
    www.richersounds.com/product/cd-players-recorders-dacs-cassette-decks/cambridge-audio/azur-840c/camb-azur-840c-sil

I put aside my "brand snobbery" prejudice and bought one - I've had a number of CD players in that price range and without doubt this punches well above its weight. Presentation is just what you're looking for and it has some useful features (eg true balanced out, digital inputs to access its superb DAC should you wish to do this). Include the 5 year warranty and it's still at the bottom of your price range. I've had 2 Shanling players - a similar but not as detailed/dynamic sound to my ears.

Oh, I'd also buy my Primare 30.1 mk II amp which will probably be in the classifieds soon :)

Neil, Mar 30, 2011
  3. taz

Colin2040

I followed a similar route had some Shanlings,I think cd 80 and 100 and they were very good,minimax is good as well but I picked up a MF 3.5 extremely new and extremely cheap and its more detailed.But have to agree the CAmbridge is excellent and I thought the Astintrew was good as well

Colin2040, Mar 30, 2011
  4. taz

Neil

Amazing coincidence Colin - the player I replaced with the CA was an Astin Trew - I'm not too good at hi-fi review speak but the AT was a little thin and lacking in dynamics compared with the CA, but a nice detailed player none the less.

Neil, Mar 30, 2011
  5. taz

Colin2040

Strange that , I liked both Shanlings but after about a year I noticed I was getting a bit of hum/noise from the player,changed to the next model up and had a similar issue about a year later as well.Tried a minimax which I liked but had a lone of an Astin trew and freind had a Cambridge.I though the cambridge was really good but in the end my tight wad approach came through as I got the MF for about £400 which was a steal and I still use it.

Funnily enough I used a Primare on loan once and loved it , the Astin amps and Cambridge are seriously good for the money.Its a good time if you are looking for some kit as there are a lot of good deals.

Colin2040, Mar 30, 2011
  6. taz

James_1D

Dude....this is your lucky day...listen to the Living Voice Auditorium IIs......and if you like, then my local dealer has an ex dem pair for within you budget...and if you want a new pair.....they are now £3200.....so this is a very decent price indeed...and I've heard them in the shop....they are fab..I have a pair in walnut.

http://www.loud-clear.co.uk/special-offers.shtml#speakers

If you can go to £1800 on speakers, they also have the next ones up in the range...the avatar....but tbh, not a lot of difference....better putting difference to better electronics and other bits and peices.

Here is a link to my system;

James_1D, Apr 1, 2011
Ask a Question