advice on using computer hard drive as storage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Colin2040, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Colin2040

Colin2040

I am just selecting a new computer and one of the things I would like to do is transfer my cds to hard drive so I can manage them and then use the computer as part of my hifi.Hopefully you follow that.
    The info I would like is,size of hard drive is likely to be 1000g is that enough for say 500 cds,whats the best software to use? By best that means simplest with good quality results.Can I then take a lead to the preamp? Could I go straight to the power amp. As you can see assistance is needed.

Colin2040, Dec 6, 2008
  2. Colin2040

zygote23

I have 1200 cd's on a 500gb hard drive. That's around 11000 tracks by 580 artists. I use Exact Audio Copy to rip my cd's to FLAC files.

Guide to EAC HERE and it's free software.

I stream the files via wireless connection to a squeezebox 3 and from that via optical to a new Cambridge Audio Dacmagic and thence to the Icon Audio stereo 40...........bliss!

zygote23, Dec 6, 2008
  3. Colin2040

Colin2040

That is certainly along the lines of what I am looking for,but imediately I realise I will need a DAC.dO i NEED A SQUEEZEBOX OR CAN i AVOID ITS USE? Dont want to add kit I dont need.

Colin2040, Dec 6, 2008
  4. Colin2040

lbr monkey boy

I use iTunes for ripping to Apple Lossless. It's good quality, it could not be easier to use, it has nice search and file functions etc, and if you want at a later date you can convert the lossless files back to wav (same true of FLAC) rather the re-ripping.

I would strongly strongly strongly recommend, if you're about to embark on the unenviable task of ripping 500 CDs, that you invest in a hardware RAID 1 drive system. This uses two hard drives, with data mirrored on each, so that if one fails you have a backup. Once installed requires no further maintenance (i.e. no need to remember to backup) and acts as if it were one hard drive. You can get software RAID, which is slightly cheaper than a hardware solution, but in my experience these only work properly on Macs (native functionality) and are unreliable under Windows.

lbr, Dec 6, 2008
  5. Colin2040

FrankDeckard

1. Back-up is mandatory
    2. If using a Mac, I would suggest LaCie FW drives. I have 2 1TB external drives, one serving as the back-up.
    3. If using iTunes, try AIFF, and Apple Lossless and see which one sounds best to you.
    4. Have fun.

FrankDeckard, Dec 6, 2008
  6. Colin2040

Dick Bowman

Whatever you do, make sure you have a backup. Hard drives are inexpensive and copying files between them is a lot faster than reripping your CDs.

RAID1 does it all for you - but it's easy enough to set up your own backup regime.

You need some sort of computer running to manage the process of selecting which files to play. Sometimes this can be achieved with some NAS hardware (Network Attached Storage - plug it into your router and access from any computer on the network).

I don't thing a SqueezeBox is essential - use a DAC with USB input and connect it to your preamp.

There is quite some choice of software to rip and play back. Personally I'm in no hurry to rip CDs onto hard drives, finding it quite easy to put whatever CD I want to listen to into a CD player. But, there's an increasing amount of music available as downloads.

My sense is that "computer playback" is at something of a nerdy stage at the moment - it will take a little while to settle down and become truly plug and play. It may be that the productised solutions which appear in the coming months may not satisfy the extremists.

Dick Bowman, Dec 7, 2008
  7. Colin2040

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

As mentioned make sure your storage is backed up and from the perspective it might be best to get a standard drive for the computer and keep the storage separate, such as the excellent drobo

www.drobo.com

garyi, Dec 7, 2008
  8. Colin2040

racey

Can you advise on how this is achieved please?
    Thanks

racey, Dec 7, 2008
  9. Colin2040

lbr monkey boy

Sure. You can either:

- buy something like this LaCie drive which is the enclosure with the drives already included. LaCie are very nice drives, quiet and reliable, but are premium priced. I've got this model attached to my home recording setup. Bear in mind that a 1Tb drive will be made up of 2 x 500Gb drives so in RAID 1 the total capacity is 500Gb. No doubt a web search will throw up cheaper alternate brands - Bufallo are good, easy to source and cheaper.

- buy something like this empty enclosure and add your own hard drives (should ideally be two identical drives - you might get away with different drives but the larger drive will be limited to the size of the smaller drive). This approach is more flexible as you can choose your own drives and can be cheaper especially if you have spare drives you want to re-use.

lbr, Dec 7, 2008
  10. Colin2040

lbr monkey boy

By the way, I use this enclosure with 2 x 750g drives for my CD ripping. I wouldn't recommend this particular enclosure as the fan noise is incredibly intrusive, but the concept is sound.

Size wise, 750Gb is more than enough for now and the foreseeable future for ripping my collection of 1400 CDs into Apple Lossless.

lbr, Dec 7, 2008
  11. Colin2040

racey

Many thanks lbr.
    I'll do some research.

racey, Dec 7, 2008
  12. Colin2040

Graffoeman

I just thought I'd add to this thread that it is worth noting that in Windows there are two 'problems' with using iTunes. It does not output a bit perfect stream by default. It can do this but it requires, as Dick Bowman mentioned above, a little 'nerdiness'! And it cannot, currently, change audio resolution on the fly. This will only be a problem if you have high res files, but it is a bit of a pain to get around.

iTunes on a Mac has no such limitations so my advice would be that if you want the best software and interface available, by a Mac! If you wish to stick to the Windows world then rip using EAC and replay using Media Monkey. There is also much lively discussion on all things computer audio related at ComputerAudiophile.com, always worth a browse round.

Graffoeman, Dec 7, 2008
  13. Colin2040

Colin2040

Thanks from me as well loads to think about. I'll stick to windows ,think MACS are great but rarely use one whereas I use windows allday long. Its what I am used to.

Colin2040, Dec 7, 2008
  14. Colin2040

MrArgostoli

As a side note, Currys Digital (in the UK) has 1000GB HDD for under £100.

They need a seperate power supply (provided), but are very good. The size is reasonable and I would even say almost portable.

MrArgostoli, Dec 8, 2008
Ask a Question