advice please anyone?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Luke, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Luke

Luke

I'm torn between a Quad cdp (not the cdp-2), a Roksan kandy Mk3 cd or a Rega Apollo cd player.

I have a Roksan Kandy Mk3 amp. Any suggestions? I cant find much out about the Quad cdp on the internet, apparently the cdp-2 had an upgraded transport and the pre-amp and thats about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
    Luke, Apr 2, 2009
  2. Luke

DarrenW

all good just choose the one you like the look of most and then dont read the internet or magazines

best of luck - for me it would be the rega

rgds
    darren

DarrenW, Apr 3, 2009
  3. Luke

wholesome

The quad cd-p was the original 99 series CD player that only had Quad BUS connection for power and audio out - it can only be used with the Quad 99 pre amp. The cd-p2 had loads of changes - normal power in and rca out, lots of digital inputs so you could use it as a DAC too, variable output level, and the upgraded transport.

Since then, a model cd-s has appeared. From what I understand, this is the cd-p2, but without the digital inputs and variable output.

In summary, the cd-p was apparently crap, and can only be used if you've got a 99 pre. the cd-s probably(?) sounds the same as the cd-p2, but doesn't have all the functionality.

I've got the 99-pre - my plan was to buy the cd-p, then the cd-s and then the cd-p2 without the missus noticing. :)

Hope that's helpful

Richard

wholesome, Apr 4, 2009
  4. Luke

Luke

Richard, I've been told that the Quad cd 99 was the one that could only be used with a Quad system and that the cd-p is just the same as the cdp-2 except the cdp-2 has a different transport as the manufacturers went bust. I was told this by several shops and even Quad themselves told me about the 99 cd.

Luke, Apr 5, 2009
  5. Luke

RobHolt Moderator

Seconded.

RobHolt, Apr 5, 2009
  6. Luke

white-socks

I use to have the Roksan Kandy MK2 intergrated amp. It was a very bright and hard kicking sounding little thing. And did not agree with it that much. Anyway, for CD players, maybe try and get a Rotel RCD-1070. Sounds very analog, but makes a very nice CD player for the money.

white-socks, Apr 7, 2009
  7. Luke

zanash

actually the cdp2 is significantly better than the cdp .....I had mine upgrade with a retro fit new transport. You'll find the extra fascilites of the cdp very hard to beat .....it acts as a very good dac and quite an impressive pre amp as well [for digital sources only]....

zanash, Apr 8, 2009
Ask a Question