Advice re: Ortofon T3000 Step-Up Trannie

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jonjin, Jul 6, 2005.

1. jonjin

jonjin

Hi...

Still trying to figure out which SUT to get to pair up with my EAR 834P MM and Lyra Helikon.

Anyone with experience of the Ortofon T3000? Is it only meant for Ortofon cartridges as the settings are set and non-adjustable?

Thanks in advance...

JJ

jonjin, Jul 6, 2005
  2. jonjin

Lt Cdr Data om

I have just sold mine, its actually rather good tho'.

I sold it because I am trying loads of step ups, and need the cash to fund my playing.

Its great midrange, has that ambience. Bass to thwacks, top end is a tad silvery, but that may be loading and matching.

You can use with any moving coil, its designed for the mc3000, but that's just really the gain, it has x30 or so, which is quite high, but you just control with the volume control. Possibly the loading makes a difference, but I have found it works very well with a few carts, provided they are not too high a generator resistance.

I can't do this in my head, but it presents a load of 47k divided by 900 to the cartridge. around 40 ohms, so look for a generator of 5 times less than that or less, say 8 ohms, you may still be able to use with 40 ohm carts, its a case of suck and see.

Its silver wired, with a nickel core, serious stuff, best tx i have yet heard.

i am currently playing with an altec mic transformer, which is slightly more laid back and easier to listen to, and acquits itself quite well compared to the £1000 ortofon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 6, 2005
  3. jonjin

jonjin

Ah... it's not the one that was on hififorsale perchance :D

Oh well... I gues really, it's down to the Bent Audio Mu with S&B 103s... It's got quite a good flexibility in cartridge loading though I am not too sure myself about the contact on the exposed resistors.

JJ

jonjin, Jul 6, 2005
  4. jonjin

Lt Cdr Data om

I do have another I have just decided to sell at the mo, dynavector dv6, this is a great step up, that is silver wired I believe too, in great cond. with original box.

It has similar hi freq transparency as the ortofon, and great timing and percussion thwack, DV don't disappoint for prat, even with a transformer.

£200 inc post. Its a rather expensive unit new. Perfect working order and they don't go wrong. Very rare, too.

http://mysoundroom.tripod.com/dynavector.htm

details above, worth a try and dead easy to sell being DV.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 6, 2005
  5. jonjin

jonjin

Which DV6 is this?

jonjin, Jul 6, 2005
  6. jonjin

Lt Cdr Data om

6Z one on the far right.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 6, 2005
Ask a Question