Advise please: Upgrading HT to 2 channel

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sirbogey, Feb 13, 2007.

1. sirbogey

sirbogey

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, which I found by chance last week. I've built my home theater system over the last 6 years, which I believe suits my needs. My current setup is: Rotel RSP-1098 processor, Rotel RMB-1075 5 channel amp, Rotel DVD-1060 player, Pannasonic PT900 projector, and Piega speakers. I've sold everything else and am looking to upgrade. I'm very happy with my HT setup, but would like to slowly upgrade/migrate towards a good 2 channel system, preferably keeping my current gear.

I was thinking of adding a separate CD player and maybe a pre/pro or 2 channel amp or even mono blocks. Or all together, but would like to stick to my front speakers for now. What are good recommendations? I wanna use the same front speakers for HT and 2 channel stereo, and of course use the remaining speakers during movie playback. Any suggestions how I could do that?

sirbogey, Feb 13, 2007
  2. sirbogey

julian2002 Muper Soderator

the usual way of doing this is having a dedicated 2 channel system driving the front l & r speakers with the ht stuff driving the remainder integration is done using a unity gain / processor bypass on your hi-fi pre or integrated amp, which effectively turns your hi-fi into a straight through power amp for the ht stuff. then take front left and right pre outs from your ht amp and connect them to the processor / av in on your hi fi.
    the big disadvantages with this approach are, it;s not often that a hi-fi speaker will be good for a/v or vice versa and it makes matching amplification difficult - you already have rotel amps for your ht so it may mean going for rotel hi-fi stuff which is ok unless you;ve heard a valve amp and want to go down that path.
    i used to have this kind of thing but eventually went for 2 seperate systems but then ht was low priority for me and i currently have a pretty inintrusive sub sat system for ht and mahoosive hi-fi speakers. but ymmv.

julian2002, Feb 13, 2007
Ask a Question