Aerials?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SimonConnell, Oct 9, 2003.

1. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

I'm not sure the better half will allow a Ron Smith Galaxie on the roof, so does anyone have a good idea of a high-quality, but slightly more compact aerial to use? I like the idea of the whip dipole as supplied by Magnum Dynalab, but £125 seems a bit steep, as the equivalent Fanfare model in the US is about £60 ($95). I'm happy with a multi-element beastie, but it needs to be relatively compact. Ideas?
    Thanks,
    Simon

SimonConnell, Oct 9, 2003
  2. SimonConnell

mick parry stroppy old git

Ron Smith

Simon

I have a Galaxie and it pales into insignificance up on the roof. You would walk by and never notice it.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Oct 9, 2003
  3. SimonConnell

HenryT

Simon,

How many elements could you get away with?

I use to own a Ron Smith (Galaxie 17), which was a huge beast, by the average Jo's standards but for the ability to pull in good strong clean signals it's hard to beat.

When I moved I had another outdoor FM aerial installed by a local firm. I wasn't prepared to fork out for another Ron Smith (and espcially not to get the RS crew down to install it as I'd was over 250 miles away from them and they charge by the hour including travel time out to the customer :eek: ). My reasons for not wanting to invest such large sums of money again are that I live in an area where there is very little in the way of FM stations to pick up compared to where I lived before and what I have is aerialwise is sufficient (but an RS would be better for Radio 3 for when high listening levels are required and thus hiss become more apparent).

Why not try one of their (Ron Smith's) smaller multi-element designs, not all of their aerials are huge.

I have a Triax FM8 (8 element), which was installed by a aerial firm near to where I currently. Triax aerials are usually quite easy to get hold of, just ask your local aerial firm.

HenryT, Oct 9, 2003
  4. SimonConnell

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

better get in quick,ron retired on health grounds a few months ago,one of his riggers bought up the remaining stocks and i belive after these have gone thats it.

themadhippy, Oct 9, 2003
  5. SimonConnell

auric FOSS

Simon,
    I saw a good review of the ST-2 and radio (MD 102t) http://www.magnumdynalab.com/home.html in the latest Hi-Fi+, I can not have Ron Smith type aerial mounted outside so one of these upright in the window (within sight of Crystal Palace) might help. The artical made note of the ST-2 using a 300 ohm "f" type connector instead of the more normal 75 ohm push-in seen on most UK radios and tvs. I am sure the uk distributor www.audiofreaks.co.uk will be able to advise on this.

Let me know if you give it a try, if it is as good as the review suggests then I might get one as well.

Auric

Ps Indoor aerials are being discusses on the Naim site Decent Reception from indoor antenna.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2003
    auric, Oct 9, 2003
Ask a Question