Affordable power conditioner?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

2. Tenson

anubisgrau

anubisgrau, Jan 10, 2008
  3. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

lol, okay! I wasn't going to buy one just thought it seemed a good price.

Tenson, Jan 10, 2008
  4. Tenson

adamdea

I have a vision for the forum: can somebody please make a bad-tempered posting about how power conditioners can't work unless they are badly specified. We could then have 98 threads devoted to the dispute and need never mention cables again.

adamdea, Jan 10, 2008
  5. Tenson

Gerner

Hi Tenson

I have extremely good experience with this stuff:

http://www.kempelektroniks.nl/News.aspx

It does really clean up the mains and recover amazing good sound in general.

Here at my place I must say they do wonders, but the available AC mains are also of a sort that we can hardly talk about a real supply of electricity.

In the contrary to many cheap conditioners these devices does not cut any microdynamics nor do they sound dull.

Gerner

Gerner, Jan 10, 2008
  6. Tenson

kmac

Yeah but UK plugs won't fit in those :)

I notice they also sell ye olde gold fuse

kmac, Jan 10, 2008
  7. Tenson

Gerner

Gerner, Jan 10, 2008
  8. Tenson

julian2002 Muper Soderator

have a look at some of the chinese stuff from cattylink and others. i use one of the mid range ones with wanky wires and i'm not unhappy. not a big believer in foo either so...

julian2002, Jan 10, 2008
  9. Tenson

rollo

Interesting find. All power conditioners tried have had a sonic singnature. Some bring the soundstage forward, some make instruments to wide, some add extra sibilance and all with a dead quiet bacground [ a good thing ].
    The most affective was installing dedicated circuits foreach component using the same earth ground. If you have a home check the tightness of the house ground and condition. Clean and tighten. You will be suprised at the outcome.
    For me no power conditioners. Any other experiences out there.

rollo

rollo, Jan 10, 2008
  10. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I use a power conditioner I got FOC from Cattylink for being a good boy. I can't say I notice a great improvement but it gives me piece of mind. I only use it on source components because my amps are monobocks on either side of the room.

To be honest I don't see why they are needed. Surge protection is nice, but any good equipment should have decent power regulation and sticking a few coils and caps before it isn't going to change much.

Tenson, Jan 10, 2008
  11. Tenson

julian2002 Muper Soderator

pretty much the same experience here simon. i got a decent conditioner and 3 elephant cock silver something cables for under £200 a year or 2 back. before that i was using an isotek something or other and supra / isotek cables which throttled my naims but slightly improved my sources. the chinese thing i have now is cool as it has 2 heavily messed with sockets (sb and a/s) 2 not so messed with ones (used by my eva and dvd recorder) and 2 unmessed with ones (used by my amps). this means i can have the lot connected easily without having too much crap everywhere. i've also tried a hydra which was ok with naims but crap for other stuff.

julian2002, Jan 11, 2008
Ask a Question