Alectos?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JackOTrades, Jul 31, 2006.

1. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Hi Everyone,

Been offered a pair of Alecto Monos MkII and was wondering what your thoughts are on these. I read fine reviews and they seem to have what I like in sound: large stage, organic sound, full body. :p

I wonder though what is a fair price for a pair of these and wether on this day and age this money would be better spent elsewhere.

My main source is vinyl. My amplification currently is an integrated MF A3.2. Will it be a considerable step up or just different?

Thanks for your help!
    Jack

ps: my speakers are SF Signum.
    :beer:

JackOTrades, Jul 31, 2006
  2. JackOTrades

sideshowbob Trisha

Nice amps. No idea what a fair price is nowadays, and only you can determine if you prefer them to what you already have, but Trichord can service them if ever needed, so they're a pretty safe buy.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 31, 2006
  3. JackOTrades

unclepuncle

I'd guesstimate that an 'ebay' price for a mint boxed pair would be about £750-900, and from a dealer with a bit of warranty around a grand. Obviously adjust downwards if they aren't mint or boxed.
    Haven't ever heard a pair so can't comment on their qualities, though I expect their very nice.
    Hope that helps.

unclepuncle, Jul 31, 2006
  4. JackOTrades

70sman

hi They don't have any output stage protection, so if the power transistors go short circuit, you get amps of DC dumped into your precious voice coils.
    Worth considering. It does happen

70sman, Aug 1, 2006
  5. JackOTrades

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

And a pair of replacement woofers & tweeters for your Signums will cost £612, so worth considering indeed!!

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 2, 2006
  6. JackOTrades

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Why not contact Trichord and ask them, while you're they ask about the 250w upgrade too

wadia-miester, Aug 2, 2006
  7. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Thanks guys! Very insightful indeed.

My main concern is whether for that sort of money I can get something better, easier to live with, than the Alectos... Trichord doesn't seem to sell them anymore so perhaps the world has moved on, if you know what I mean... :)

I guess I have to think about it... but your advice, as always, has been invaluable.

:beer:
    Jack

JackOTrades, Aug 2, 2006
Ask a Question