Alectos

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JackOTrades, Sep 3, 2006.

1. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Guys,

Quick question.
    Was offered a pair of Alectos MkII and Argo HR+Hera PSU.
    I currently have an MF A3.2 integrated.

The question is: would this be a good investment given their age vs the quality of sound? Or would it be wiser to go for something like a NuVista M3 Integrated instead? (prices being more and less the same)?

Or better to not go for any of them?

Opinions, thoughts, all welcome!
    Thanks everybody!
    Jack

JackOTrades, Sep 3, 2006
  2. JackOTrades

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The Alecto's are great amplifiers JoT, and can be upgraded to 250wrms by Graham Folwer @ Trichord, worth giving him a ring I feel.

wadia-miester, Sep 4, 2006
  3. JackOTrades

midlifecrisis Firm member

I can only give an opinion on the Michell kit rather than a comparison. I used to have the Alecto mark 2s and an d Orca preamp. For a start the Orca was significantly better than the Argo, and I think the poweramps deserve it. The Alectos however are very very good - as with the Orca, they have a very natural, ungrainy sound. The treble is liquid in a valvy way (I originally demmed them against a conrad johnston and found the two quite comparable) and with the right speakers they will do very solid bass, but this was an issue for me when I moved on to my B&W 802s, which is why I upgraded to my Brystons. I believe you can also get the Alectos power boosted by Trichord (WM would know how ..).

midlifecrisis, Sep 4, 2006
  4. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Great feedback, thanks guys!
    I heard that the Argo has some issues with the volume (not much usable range) and needs replacing. I assume even in this case it would not cost too much to mod it, right?

My speaker are Sonus Faber Signums and I have a Rel Strata III complementing their bass (or lack of it). They like power in abundance and are very revealing so silky highs are in order. From what you say they would be a good match.

Oh dear... monoblocs... more cables, power cords, power block... maybe I am getting into a lot more trouble here.... ;)

Thank you all!
    Jack

JackOTrades, Sep 4, 2006
  5. JackOTrades

Antipodean Brad

Jack,
    I have a Trichord Alecto Stereo Mk 2 and am very happy with it, but would love to get hold of the mono's - or another stereo amp if possible. I certainly recommend giving them a try (if possible). If you don't take up the offer, will they be available to anyone else?
    Thanks.
    Brad - in Australia, of course.

Antipodean Brad, Sep 4, 2006
  6. JackOTrades

midlifecrisis Firm member

...well if you go for them, I have a biwire set of 1 metre VdH Revelation speaker cables that I used with my Alectos (Alecti?)just waiting for a new owner... ;)

midlifecrisis, Sep 4, 2006
  7. JackOTrades

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I would go for the Alectos. Good amps. I had a stereo one in my collection a few years ago. Very good. It's now doing sterling service in my mates system.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Sep 4, 2006
  8. JackOTrades

huuge

absolutely

see my pm

huuge, Sep 4, 2006
  9. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Thanks guys. I might go for the NuVista instead only because of its practicality but the jury is still out on this one.

Anthipodean: there are a couple of pairs of Alecto Monos for sale in the UK. A MkI pair at the Emporium, a MkII listed by HiFiGuy and one in the AudiophileCandy classifieds (which is the one I have been looking at but I am not sure it is still up for sale). If you go for the monos you will need a pre and I cannot find an Orca for sale anywhere. There are a couple of ArgosHR around, though.

Prices and condition probably vary.

Cheers all,
    Jack

JackOTrades, Sep 5, 2006
Ask a Question