Alignment Protractor?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Morb666, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Morb666

Morb666

Hi,

I am using a Rega Planar 3 fitted with a Rega Elys cartridge (on the RB-300) arm. I don't think the cartridge has ever been set up correctly so I wanted to try and do this, I have downloaded some info from the Rega website but it says I need an "Alignment Protractor"...any idea where I can get one of these? (or even better is there anywhere I can download and print one off?
    Also the only cartridge info they have is for the Elys2 Cartridge where they give a tracking force of 1.75g, would I be safe in assuming this is the same for the original Elys?

Thanks for your help
    Morbius

Morb666, Aug 16, 2005
  2. Morb666

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

3. Morb666

Morb666

That looks great...thanks very much :)
    Morbius

Morb666, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Morb666

Machineman

Mr Morbious,
    If you are using the Elys, then it has the three hole mounting, which means overhang is already correct. In a Rega P3, the spindle to arm distance 222mm, is also already correct. There's not a lot of aligning left to do apart from making sure the cart is square in the headshell.
    All Rega carts track at 1.75gms.

Hope this helps.

PS. if you print a protractor from the Vinyl Engine, use the Stevenson's one(Rega base theirs on this). Also make sure you print 100% to scale or it wont be accurate.

Cheers.

Machineman, Aug 17, 2005
  5. Morb666

Morb666

Thanks for the info Machineman :)

Morb666, Aug 17, 2005
  6. Morb666

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I've been tampering with this for a few days now (since OL modification to RB300). With the rega 3 point attachment, the fit is VERY tight between the cartridge contacts and the arm body - so tight as to be a worry. Also the stylus doesn't seem to track either the Stevenson / Braewald arcs when set up using this method. What kind of printer tolerance do I need to ensure the scaling is right ? I'm within 1mm (i.e. 0.5%).

I've been thinking of changing cartridge but all this is putting me off.

johnfromnorwich, Dec 29, 2005
  7. Morb666

Tenson Moderator

You know you want to get a CD player :D

Tenson, Dec 29, 2005
  8. Morb666

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I've got a CD8/PSXR and roughly 1000 CDs. I A/B'd Fugazi's debut EP last night. Even without a perfect set up, the TT blows the CD out of the water...

9. Morb666

Anex Thermionic

Thats like selling your soul

Anex, Dec 29, 2005
  10. Morb666

joel Shaman of Signals

CD works great for the deaf, dumb and blind.
    I dound Beyerwald worked better than Stevenson with my old P25/DV17 combi.

joel, Dec 29, 2005
  11. Morb666

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Okay - so when you printed out the protractor, was your tolerance > 0.5% ? Since you were using a DV, you wouldn't have encountered the three point fixing and would have adjusted along the X and Z axis until you got it right. My problem is that a Rega cart on a rega arm on a rega deck doesn't track the arc when using the three point fixing and requires what appears to be a very tight fit against the arm wiring to give me a 'horizontal match' between cartridge body and the guide-lines on the single point protractor supplied by OL.

I want to ditch the rega cart (for a DV !) but I'm determined to get this straight before I go any further.

Any other offers ?

12. Morb666

Goomer

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Rega arm geometry doesn't follow any of the standard alignments, and that Rega have their own alignment guage. If you're using the 3 point fixing, you wont be able to exactly trace the arc on a normal guage - if you give up the 3rd mounting bolt, you'll be able to move the cart about enough to do so, though you have to decide whether you'd prefer this or the extra rigid coupling the 3rd bolt provides.

Goomer, Dec 29, 2005
  13. Morb666

la toilette Downright stupid

Great record to choose, I've just blasted it out (and then Margin Walker) and had my two kids hurling themselves around the living room....thanks for reminding me about it!! :D

...Happy days...

la toilette, Dec 30, 2005
Ask a Question