All in one a/v box

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Jul 25, 2004.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hi,
    i'm looking to tidy up the rats nest i have sitting in my living room. i was wondering if such a beastie as this exists as an all in one box...
    1) multiregion dvd playback.
    2) dpl2, dd, dts decoder.
    3) internal amplification for at least center and rear channels with pre outs for the front pair.
    4) hard disk recording with timeslip capability.
    5) scart input for cable tv.
    6) optical / xlr (draem on) output for use with outboard dac.

i've seen dvd / hd recorders and dvd / amp packages but nothing that will replace my av amp / dvd player and vcr. am i asking for too much here?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 25, 2004
  2. julian2002

Saab

I think so,because VCR is finished.Sky+ and all in one like the Linn Classic is the best compromise I think,and drop the VCR.

whats timeslip capability?

Saab, Jul 25, 2004
  3. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'm on ntl so a sky+ box isn't an option and ntl don't do an equivalent. i'm not really going to get all anal about quality as it's only a/v and i don't watch that much tv anyway so a classik is overkill. what i want is a sub 400 ukp box which will do the above to reasonable standards.

timeslip is the ability to 'pause live tv' so that you can go and put the kiddies to bed without missing the first car they review on top gear :D
    i think some dvd recorders let you do this but as there are compatibility issue (still) with recordable dvd i'd rather not go there.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 25, 2004
  4. julian2002

Saab

ah,yes,Sky+ has timeslip then,we use it all the time,particularly at kiddy bedtime :)

I am pretty sure you can get a DVD recorder with timeslip and VCR combo,but not as an all in one with an amp and decoder

I had the same problem as you,and when you factor in getting it all under the TV to keep the wife happy you wonder why something like this isn't made!

In the end,I stuck Sky+ under the tele and got the smallest amp and DVD player I could that would fit,Teac as it happens (the VCR rarely gets used now so DPL2 really isn't needed)

this just about kept the wife happy,becuase the sub is hidden,i laid the cable for the rears under the carpet and the HIFi is at the other end of the lounge,so she is happy,ish
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2004
    Saab, Jul 25, 2004
  5. julian2002

Hex Spurt

No

Yes :lol:

You're probably about 6 - 12 months too early for the manufacturers to shoehorn all that kit into a one-box package and sell it for £400 retail.

If you are prepared to drop the VHS, HD and one-box requirement then Panasonic get fairly close with their SCHT25R package deal at under £500. I don't know how well their TV Guide works though and if it will control your NTL set top box.

DVD-RAM is the cheapest way to get a time-slip function. The basic recorders have no hard disc, but RAM discs can be used in Virtual Recorder (VR) mode. Using the machine like this does mean you can't archive to DVD-R since you're already using the drive for the RAM disc, but you might be happy to archive on VHS.

HD DVD Recorders come in at £400 (JVC and other minor brands) and £480+ for the major brands. Philips has a strong position with their Guide+ equipped machines. These will give you a 7 day EPG and (crucially) control your NTL STB.

I expect to see some pretty aggressive pricing in the run up to Christmas, particularly October and November as manufacturers attempt to position themselves in stores for the selling season.

Hold on to your pennies for now and tame those cables with one of these :D

Regards

Hex

Hex Spurt, Jul 25, 2004
  6. julian2002

Tom Alves

In my search for a cheap A/V solution yesterday I did some rootling around and came up with two solutions that may fit and if you're just after a box then there are plenty. Only thing is I haven't seen anything containing DVD/VCR/Receiver. The vcr seems to be an add on.

Anyway my two are Denon DHT-500
    and JAMO DVR-50 AV Receiver / A305 PDD 5.1 Speaker System . Actually heard this last year and was suitably impressed

Tom Alves, Jul 25, 2004
  7. julian2002

BlueMax

None of the current HD recorders can play DVD-A or SCAD.
    They can't record to CDR either, unlike like their PC counterparts.

All in one systems are convenient but they heavily compromise on quality.

Give them an year or two and I am sure there will be something worth considering.

BlueMax, Jul 25, 2004
  8. julian2002

Tom Alves

I noticed Argos are now selling Freeview combined with a HDD in on box.

Tom Alves, Jul 26, 2004
Ask a Question