All my hifi for sale (mostly modified)

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by fatmarley, May 8, 2010.

1. fatmarley

fatmarley

Hi Guys,

I've got butterflies in my stomach at the thought of selling all my hifi but I can't take the nagging anymore. Everytime we move house (6 times in seven years) she complains about me putting my hifi in the living room. Not only that, but I get told to turn it down or off whenever I play some music.

I've decided to get a good quality MP3 player and headphones - Nationite S:Flo2 and possibly some Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii headphones. The headphones are sealed, so I shouldn't be able to hear her nagging.

Pm or Email offers to mattfarley at msn dot com

Here are some pics: http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc209/fatmarley/HiFi For Sale/ - Click on the pics to read a description and get the price.

This is the stuff that's sold: http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc209/fatmarley/HiFi For Sale/

fatmarley, May 8, 2010
  2. fatmarley

robbmc

I have a Little Dot mkIII and Sennheiser 595s that I don't use if you're interested?

Good luck with the sale.

robbmc, May 9, 2010
  3. fatmarley

graybags

PM sent.

graybags, May 9, 2010
  4. fatmarley

fatmarley

Thank's very much for the offer but I already have a Rega ear (modified like all my kit) and some Sennheiser HD650s.

Cheers
    Matt

fatmarley, May 9, 2010
  5. fatmarley

fatmarley

PM replied to.

fatmarley, May 9, 2010
  6. fatmarley

graybags

Deed done. My address in in the replied email

Thanks Matt - looking forward to the amp.

Graham.

graybags, May 9, 2010
  7. fatmarley

fatmarley

No problem Graham. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
    What's the rest of your hifi?

fatmarley, May 9, 2010
  8. fatmarley

graybags

I expect the starfish will be hopelessly drowned out at the moment by the poor quality of the other components. It's going in to a mishmash of a system:

Beresford Caiman DAC
    diyparadise.com Charlize 2 T-Amp
    Mark 1 Heybrook HB1 speakers (heck are they really 25 years old!?)

The have replaced the bass drivers on the heybrooks. The Charlize is a good amp for playing quiet stuff but it's not got much grunt and can start shouting on rock - guess it'd like more efficient speakers

I'm in the process of buying bits and pieces and hope this'll fit in with the new power amp (whatever it'll be).

graybags, May 9, 2010
  9. fatmarley

fatmarley

The Heybrooks are supposed to be very nice speakers (I almost bought some a few months back, just out of curiosity)

The best value Naim amp has got to be the Nap 160 - they often go for less than £300. If you can't find one of those, a Nap 140 is very nice.

Cheers
    Matt

fatmarley, May 9, 2010
  10. fatmarley

fatmarley

Not much left now - The Starfish has gone . I've removed everything that's sold and added a fully built, -ve ALW super reg.
    I've got a Chrome bumper hicap that's had the regulators removed (I will supply them with the hicap) and had a couple of holes drilled in the back for XLR sockets. I'll take some pics tomorrow if I have time.

fatmarley, May 9, 2010
  11. fatmarley

graybags

I got the package Saturday, but have been a bit busy to post anything. Thanks for posting it promptly Matt.

I was curious as to what a preamp would do to my primary (almost exclusive) way of listening to music at the moment: Squeezebox 3 -> Caiman DAC (using variable preamp output) -> Charlize 2 T-Amp module. After all I'd be putting another element in the chain.

I have an input selector for the Charlize for inputs from other analogue sources, so I kept the variable output from the Caiman connected and wired up the parallel one via the Starfish to do an A/B.

So the first impressions: WOW! It's BIGGER in every way. Trying not to come out with 'clichés', but it certainly grips/holds on to a piece of music more than the direct DAC. The bass goes lower there's more high frequency treble.There's more background detail (could mainly be down to the extended treble).

Cheers!

graybags, May 16, 2010
Ask a Question