Almost there, but need a little help.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by clintonf, Dec 27, 2004.

1. clintonf

clintonf

Hi everyone, I hope that everyone had a great Celebration (for those who celebrate Christmas at this time of year).

I wish you all well for the New Year.

For those of you who have been taking the time to read my requests for help (and some kindly answering them), you will know that I've purchased a VPI Scout Master TT.

Adam, wanted to get my appraisal of the TT. Well in my limited experience, I have found that the TT does add a new level of detail over and above my previous TT (Project RPM 9). However, I have waited to compare my new and old TT because I also used a different cartridge with the VPI, so the comparision was made difficult. However, I am most impressed with the Bass that is produced by the VPI.

Anyway, to the point of the thread. The VPI is much wider than my older TT and will not fit on my Audiophile BASE 01 Platform.

I could invest in a larger Platform size to accommodate the TT or I could get a shelf. I don't wish to get a wall mounted shelf so I was looking for any suggestions for shelves/platforms to place over my Rack.

The dimensions that i'm currently looking for is around 52cm x 46cm, but there is room for leeway in the measurements. I have no set price bracket, but i'd be looking the spend no more than £130 for the shelf.

Thanks

Clint

clintonf, Dec 27, 2004
  2. clintonf

Dexter

IKEA LACK & Soundcare Superspikes

Hi Clint,

I've just gotten a 2nd-hand Roksan Xerxes TT. I needed something lightweight yet extremely rigid to place it on. I went to IKEA and got one of those notorious LACK tables (55cm x 55cm). I didn't fit the legs, but instead mounted just the top of the table to the Soundcare Superspikes that I had been using under my Planar 3 (found the 4th one in the cupboard). Then I perched it atop my glass-shelved Hi-Fi rack. Not only does it look incredible but it's already a vast improvement over the Mission/Cyrus Isoplat (basically an MDF plank w/sorbothane feet) it replaces! Total cost: £45. :)

Cheers, Dex

Dexter, Dec 28, 2004
  3. clintonf

clintonf

Thanks Dex,

I will try that. I never thought of IKEA before. I'll wait until the queues die down before I trot down there.

I will let you know how I get on when I get it.

Thanks again

Clint

clintonf, Dec 28, 2004
  4. clintonf

merlin

Clinton,

I also have a Vpi and would recommend glass - believe it or not, possibly Mana!

merlin, Dec 28, 2004
  5. clintonf

clintonf

Hi Merlin, Adam mentioned that you've got the same model as me. How are you finding it? I'm not sure what I expected, but it sounds very good to me. I would not be able to comment upon "inky blackness", "soundstages which live way outside the speakers", et. al, but I think that it sounds better than my RPM 9. How much better? I can't quantify, but I can say that it's worth it as an upgrade.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the VPI (I have a feeling that you've done this before on this forum, so if you point me to the correct thread, if you have, i'd be grateful)

Cheers

Clint

clintonf, Dec 29, 2004
Ask a Question