Altec Nineteen or VOTTs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by messengerman, May 2, 2007.

1. messengerman

messengerman

A few people across the pond have the Bernings configured as mono blocks. Mind you that would be an expensive option and the Bernings are getting seriously difficult now to get hold of.

Another cheaper option I have in mind is bi-amping with a Crown K1 or 2 on the bottom end. I seem to remember Mike talking about trying that so may try to get in touch to see what he thought.

Once the amp gets here I'll give it a try on Rich's 4345s. Then we can see how it gets on by itself. Bass grip and drive is apparently a real strength so maybe it'll be quite happy working alone.

messengerman, Jun 1, 2007
  2. messengerman

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I dont like this thread :(

can't everybody talk about speakers and amplifiers I don't want ?

bottleneck, Jun 1, 2007
  3. messengerman

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Berning are bringing out a whole new range,but they are upping prices considerably, I believe the circuit is going to stay the same, just the casework and prices that are changing,whether the Berning will hold it's own at nearly three times the current price?

Purite Audio, Jun 1, 2007
  4. messengerman

Baudrillard

Here are some TAD 2401 Twin speakers (item 190113931572) only Eur 17.750,00.

(Sorry Bottleneck)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
    Baudrillard, Jun 1, 2007
  5. messengerman

sideshowbob Trisha

Hubba hubba.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 2, 2007
  6. messengerman

..being sold by 'enjoy the music' from this very site.

bottleneck, Jun 2, 2007
  7. messengerman

I believe there is a young whippersnapper who is developing a modern 'homage' to this design, using modern TAD compression drivers, might be worth a listen when itis launched.

Purite Audio, Jun 2, 2007
  8. messengerman

joel Shaman of Signals

It will be more like an improved version of the JBL 66000, and using two JBL 15" drivers rather than the TAD 1601b in the Exclusive pictured above.
    This 5-way Westlake, with dual 18" drivers sould be fun:
    [​IMG]
    The "small" Westlake tower SM and myself listened to last October in Akihabara was very amusing.
    Of course all ths pales besides the Infrasonic Monitors of the One True Master. I feel a Journey is imminent...

joel, Jun 2, 2007
  9. messengerman

Baudrillard

..........that would be to Richer Sounds? I hear they've got manager's specials on a couple of pairs of Westlakes at their London Bridge branch.

Hey, check out this person, I just came across, who makes replica TAD horns:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-80068.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
    Baudrillard, Jun 2, 2007
  10. messengerman

nando nando

if they are original ALTEC LANSINNGS, then the altec's are my choice, regards nando.

nando, Jun 2, 2007
  11. messengerman

Joel I am looking forward to that whippersnappers speakers, there is an even younger whippersnapper, who is planning a contemporary version of the exclusives.TAD mania!

Purite Audio, Jun 2, 2007
  12. messengerman

vaifan

greeting from USA Berning owner

Hello all, I stumbled across your discussion about the Berning the other day while surfing the web. I saw some mention of people over here on 'our side of the pond' having monoblocked Bernings, I'm one of them :) In fact, I am currently biamping my system with three ZH270's, the monoblocked pair on the bass and a stereo 270 on the highs. Overkill, probably, but, sounds good to me. All of the 270's have Allan's mods in them, well, the monoblocked 270's don't have the stepped attenuator, but they have everything else. And yes, the mods do make a big difference. And, don't be afraid to tube roll, the amp is very sensitive to differences between tubes.
    As for the new Bernings, they are going up in price, but my understanding is that the changes will be more than cosmetic, some circuit redesign is involved.

vaifan, Jun 3, 2007
  13. messengerman

now that's just greedy! :D

welcome to ZG..

bottleneck, Jun 3, 2007
  14. messengerman

Dev Moderator

15. messengerman

Nice :)

my house is on the market now....soon for happy days of hifi in a new home..

bottleneck, Jun 3, 2007
  16. messengerman

messengerman

Don't really want to make this a Berning thread but for those who are interested this is what Allan told me about the new ones:

"The new Berning lines consists of two internal divisions, the Advanced and the Audiophile division, the advanced is products that have the highest advanced technology and finish, the Audiophile line is products with some of the latest technology but with simpler finishes and no remotes.

Two amps are coming out shortly, an advanced line 70-70, price unknown but more than $10K USD, a 200+ watt mono block, called Quadtrature Z', fully balanced with our latest ZOTL technology price is $24,999.00 USD. An Advanced Pre, called TSP-20, with tube switching power supply, as far as we know the first of it's kind in a piece of audio equipment ever, remote control using Bernings discrete on board resistors, with logic switching that attenuates at more than one location on the circuit and many other innovative things.
    Will be working on two new pre-amps, both with our new pre-amp ZOTL technology, ZERO feedback but with very low output impedance, less than 50 ohms, no other design can allow for these two to exist together.

Phono Pre, Integrated amp, Class A amp and a Mini Z headphone/personal amp all on the drawing boards."

messengerman, Jun 6, 2007
  17. messengerman

messengerman

Thanks Baudrillard, for that link. If that bloke is willing to sell his replica horns then it would seem DIY Exclusives are perhaps possible even for us less talented mortals.

Wonder what the parts availability is like?

18. messengerman

anubisgrau

anubisgrau, Jun 6, 2007
  19. messengerman

Interesting news,I wonder whether they will appoint a UK distributor, CE,ROHS costs a lot for a small company.

Purite Audio, Jun 6, 2007
  20. messengerman

messengerman

Actually those are the 4435's I heard.

Rich, the seller, seems a very nice bloke and and is a respected member of the Lansingheritage forum (richluvsound). He has a quite a few JBL speakers in varying stages of restoration and a few high end JBL design projects on the go on which he collaborates with a raft of JBL enthusiasts across the world.

I ought also to declare, in the interests of being completely fair and open, an affiliation of sorts in so far as Rich has recently volunteered to "mentor" my 4345 build.

Ask a Question