Alternative to MS Messenger?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, May 18, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Anyone know of an alternative to MS Messenger that also can do video and voice conferencing like MS Messenger?

I got rid of Messenger a while back and have been using Trillian as my IM client but now a friend of mine has got Messenger and wants to do video chats and I'm really loathe to re-install Messenger again :(

Michael.

michaelab, May 18, 2004
  2. michaelab

auric FOSS

auric, May 18, 2004
  3. michaelab

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2004
    BL21DE3, May 18, 2004
  4. michaelab

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You could try MSN Messenger instead. It's not as bad as Messenger. Beware if you are using Zone Alarm though. Unless you use the Pro version you won't get Audio to work. I switched to Sygate Personal Firewall to get both Audio and Video working together but it takes a bit of doing. PM me if you decide to go for that option.

technobear, May 18, 2004
  5. michaelab

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Techno, I think that was probably what he didnt want to install ;)

PBirkett, May 18, 2004
  6. michaelab

Well MS Messenger and MSN Messenger are not the same :)

It's not particularly straightforward to get Audio and Video both working through a firewall though.

I'll be investigating some of the other suggestions, particularly if they claim to interoperate with others who have Messenger.

technobear, May 18, 2004
  7. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I've given up and installed MSN Messenger which is, as Chris correctly points out, not the same thing as MS Messenger (allthough it's very similar).

It's not ideal but there really is no other viable IM client that can do video conferencing that's compatible with MS/MSN messenger. It turns out what my mate has is MSN messenger, not MS messenger.

Now to see what Firewall config I'll need to do.....I've got ZoneAlarm Pro so it should be possible. First things first though: I still need a WebCam :D

Michael.

michaelab, May 18, 2004
  8. michaelab

PBirkett VTEC Addict

What is the difference then? I've always assumed MSN Messenger was MSN messenger and there was no others? :confused:

PBirkett, May 18, 2004
  9. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm not really sure what the ctual differences are. Both seem very similar but where as MSN is on version 6.1 (maybe newer version still). Windows messanger is on version 4. something.

Not really sure what the actual differences are???

MO!, May 18, 2004
  10. michaelab

Will The Lucky One

Windows messenger has less crap that nobody used it bundled with it :D

MSN Messenger has things like avatars, and multiplayer games like drafts and such like, and also I believe it has more advertisting. The user interface seems to be more cluttered, if I remember correctly from the 10 minutes I had MSN Messenger 6.1 installed before I decided windows messenger was better for my needs :)

Will, May 18, 2004
  11. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Avatars and such have only been added to MSN in the MOre recent updates. Seems like Windows messanger is just an older out of date (though as you say, less cluttered), version.

MO!, May 18, 2004
  12. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

MSN Messenger is also considered by Windows as a separate application and not "part of Windows". A small but important distinction.

Michael.

michaelab, May 18, 2004
  13. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Just an update - got the audio/video thing working nicely. Didn't really need any configuration in ZoneAlarm Pro other than responding "Yes" to "Do you want to allow MSN Messenger to act as a server?".

I had two-way audio and one way video (I don't have a webcam yet) working. Pretty impressive actually. Quality at least as good as those videophone reports you get from TV news reporters in Iraq etc.

Will be out to get a web-cam this evening :cool:

Michael.

michaelab, May 19, 2004
  14. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Aarrrgh! spoke too soon - I in fact don't have audio working at all :( . I naively assumed that since video was working (albeit one way for the time being) that audio would be easier - I hadn't actually tried it :shame: .

Turns out audio is a complete non-starter. Just read this in the Microsoft docs about MSN Messenger:
    So - since my router (NAT device) is not UPnP aware I'm screwed for audio. I'll have to make do with video and typing :(

Michael.

michaelab, May 19, 2004
  15. michaelab

Utter bollox. You can configure the firewall to allow Messenger Audio. It's also a very good idea to block the UPnP port to the outside world (5000 I think) as it is a security risk and it's only a matter of time before someone exploits it.

I'll send you more information when I get home.

technobear, May 19, 2004
  16. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Look forward to getting your PM. In the meantime, I installed the latest firmware upgrade for my router and that has UPnP support which I then enabled. I also enabled UPnP in Windows XP.

Of course my mate will likely have the same issues....

Michael.

michaelab, May 19, 2004
Ask a Question