Altman DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rollo, Dec 21, 2006.

1. rollo

rollo

Seems to be a buzz about this unit.Any input?Understand its aUK product.Looks different anyway
    rollo

rollo, Dec 21, 2006
  2. rollo

Tenson Moderator

I have not heard it, but my initial thoughts are that it is probably more 'different' than better. – No case (one up on NVA?), battery power, custom input receiver and lots of opamps in the output.

Tenson, Dec 22, 2006
  3. rollo

endust4237

The Altmann DAC is a German product made by Charles Altmann. One of the biggest bargain of the audio industry. I own the Altmann Attraction DAC, BYOB amp and Creation ADC. Let me know if you have any question. Before these I owned Theta Generation Va, dCS professional 9-series DAC, DD and ADC, Audio Note DAC 4, DAC 4 Signature and DAC 5, Accuphase DC/DP-100/101. For me the Altmann products give more musical pleasure than of the mentioned products.

endust4237, Dec 22, 2006
  4. rollo

rollo

endust4237, thanks for the response.Own Theta 5a But use Lector CDP7tl.Sounds like this is worth a try.If its just better than the Theta thats saying something.
    Ordering one to try
    rollo

rollo, Dec 23, 2006
  5. rollo

Tenson Moderator

How much do they cost?

Tenson, Dec 23, 2006
  6. rollo

LinearMan

Basic one is about EUR750 I believe.

LinearMan, Dec 23, 2006
  7. rollo

endust4237

Order the all option version with the 192kHz, Jisco and UPCI. Makes real sense, especially the high-res and UPCI. You did not hear high-res 96k/24 DVD Video or Audio until you tried with the Altmann. The new HDTT 96k DVDs are amazing.
    You can find new life for Toslink cables as the UPCI and JISCO optioned DAC really likes the Toslink connection instead of SPDIF at least in my case (YMMV).
    Do not forget to buy Optima or the Exxide spiral cell car battery. Makes real sense again. You need to play with the cables, as the Attraction DAC is really light, so any non-flexible cable easily can lift it. Run-in takes 4-8 weeks. Try to reverse the car fuse in it, you can find a direction of the fuse which you like better (sound strange but works for few Altmann user). You can try to clean the legs of the fuse with CAIG Deoxit. It can help to make your choice not only the best for the absolutely best :)

endust4237, Dec 24, 2006
  8. rollo

rollo

endust4237,

Thanks again for your input.Will order full monty.
    rollo

rollo, Dec 26, 2006
  9. rollo

johnhunt recidivist

god - careful with that fuse

johnhunt, Dec 26, 2006
Ask a Question