Always wanted a valve amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Basil, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Basil

RobHolt Moderator

LP12 discussions don't count Dave - they break all the rules :D
    But yes, I know what you mean.

I do think it important to participate in a discussion if you believe what has been written is clearly inaccurate, mainly because the claims are public and have a potentially large audience. However, just being negative isn't good enough and it must surely be important to present a cogent argument to support your position in such instances.

RobHolt, Feb 17, 2011
  2. Basil

Mescalito

Pseudo-scientific new age claptrap of the first water!!! Makes Russ Andrews look like Mr. Spock.

Chris

Mescalito, Feb 17, 2011
  3. Basil

Joe Petrik Denebian Slime Devil

Again with the Star Trek references.

Why do you guys always Trek up these discussions?

Joe

Joe Petrik, Feb 17, 2011
  4. Basil

Dave Simpson Plywood King

Rob,

As I see it, the only problem with expecting proof presented with every claim is the likelyhood something legitimate will get supressed along the way simply because it currently can't be measured or reproduced in every system. Fortunately, for those of us not technically inclined, common sense and experience seems to work just fine. For example, I'm confident a frozen photograph of myself in the freezer will not make a difference in the sound of my hifi without testing it but when I hear slight differences between some main cables in my rig consistently and repeatedly and it's plausible as they are part of the circuit, I'll go with what my ears say vs what an expert tells me.

regards,

dave

Dave Simpson, Feb 17, 2011
  5. Basil

silverback11

isn't distortion used as a tool by electronic engineers/ hi fi designers, to tune the sound of their amplifiers? An essentially neutral amp is totally possible, has been produced, but never made it's owners a mint of money, because luckily, we are all different with different tastes and needs. That's part of the fun. SOME people search out equipment that measures 'well', whilst others search out kit that doesn't!
    Vive La difference.

silverback11, Feb 25, 2011
  6. Basil

RobHolt Moderator

It is, but it remains a completely crackers way of tuning a system.
    It is incredibly imprecise, wasteful and judging by the number of queries on forums, rarely satisfies. Nor are the mechanisms at work properly understood, and where there is poor understanding there is often error.

Specific equipment exists to manipulate signals in ways which are fully understood, and that manipulation can be as strong or as subtle as you wish.

RobHolt, Feb 25, 2011
  7. Basil

felix part-time Horta

I want to patent a transparent gizmo that adds 'air', 'phatness' and 'niceness' knobs to any hifi.

Unfortuntely Quad et al. got there first.

;)

felix, Feb 25, 2011
  8. Basil

RobHolt Moderator

We call that alcohol ;)

RobHolt, Feb 26, 2011
Ask a Question