Am I limiting myself?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JaredCE, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JaredCE

JaredCE

Hey all

For the last few years I've been running my system using a Marantz pm4001 amplifier. I bought this amp while in uni as that was about as much as I could afford and have had it paired with B&W DM602s.

My sources are a project Debut III turntable, Squeezebox classic 3 and my TV (xbox 360 too acting as CD player when not playing games).

It's about time to upgrade my Amp; when I bought the amp, I listened to a Rotel RA-02 which sounded much better to the Marantz, but I couldn't quite afford it. So now I find my self searching around ebay and forums for people selling Rotel RA-03 (none it seems), Rotel RA-06 or their power and pre equivilants.

But am i limiting myself by just looking at Rotels? For the £300ish price range i'm looking at it seems i can pick up Arcams, Musical Fidelitys and Tag Mclarens, all of these very good brands. Should I really think about buying them though and which models should i be looking at for my HiFi?

It's an unconventional HIFI i guess but one for the digital age. Buying from ebay limits my testing ability, but so does buying from shops as they'll never have the same kit as i do.

Has anyone got any strong recomendations?

JaredCE, Jun 18, 2010
  2. JaredCE

Labarum

Quad?

Some bargains to be had even now. when you have more cash have the amp refurbished. That will lift its performance and make it good for another ten years.

Quad 77 integrated amps are found on eBay from time to time and go for silly prices. They are not considered "vintage" Quad (like the 303 and 405 etc), but their performance and but quality is exemplary.

Labarum, Jun 18, 2010
  3. JaredCE

RobHolt Moderator

With a budget of £300 I'd keep the existing amplifier assuming it works in good order and isn't struggling to drive your speakers.
    Any limitations here are likely to be found before the amplifier.

I see it has a phono input so depending on how much use the TT gets you might want to look at an external phono stage and/or a better cartridge for the TT.

If digital sources get the most use and as it looks like you are running the SB straight into the amp, perhaps try a quality external DAC such as the Musical Fidelity V-DAC at £150 or the Cambridge DacMagic at £230.

Actually, if you are still using the supplied Ortofon OM5 cartridge that came with the TT you can hit the jackpot here.
    Fit a Denon DL110 MC to the deck and you'll get a large gain in quality - £140
    Buy the MF V-DAC and improve all of your digital sources - £150.

Tenner left over for a bottle of wine :)

RobHolt, Jun 19, 2010
  4. JaredCE

JaredCE

I must admit i've often thought about running a DAC. I was looking at the MF x-dacs because i love the look of the x-series; I would love to get the x-ray cd player at some point. The Dac Magic with 3 digital inputs though has me swayed.

Is it better to have the output from my TV coming over the optical out rather than the RCA out?

However, if you think the £300~£400 budget I have at the moment is too small, what would you suggest is the right budget and what amps should i be looking at?

JaredCE, Jun 20, 2010
  5. JaredCE

Labarum

Are you asking for a comparison between the TV optical (digital) output and an analogue RCA output? If so, with a decent external DAC, the TV sound will be much improved. If, however you want a comparison between two digital outputs - one optical and the other electrical on a RCA socket, then it's hard to say. It depends how well the TV digital outputs are engineered, and how well the DAC receives them.

There are those that say that the RCA digital output of the Squeezebox is better than its optical output - and others who say there is no difference.

If you want a cheap(ish) DAC that will switch between two digital sources then look at the Beresfords.

http://www.beresford.me/main/main2.html

It will double as a preamp, but not for you as you need a phono input.

Labarum, Jun 20, 2010
  6. JaredCE

nando nando

pm sent

nando, Jun 20, 2010
  7. JaredCE

JaredCE

I'm sorry for dragging this thread up.:JPS:

Since my last post i have acquired a Rotel RC-06.

At the moment it's sitting rather lonely boxed up as I have no power amp to go with it. I got it at a bargain price and since, my friend has offered me an Arcam P38 for a great price, though i also noted that a hifi retailer is offering an ex demo Quad 99 Stereo for £299, assuming they still have it.

Either of these worth going for especially with my setup?

JaredCE, Aug 29, 2010
  8. JaredCE

RobHolt Moderator

Both very competent amplifiers so I'd say make the choice based on cost and aesthetics.
    The Arcam is likely to be cheaper and will match the look of the Rotel better - assuming the same colour - and there are no unusual characteristics with either amp on the matching front.

The Arcam is part of the FMJ range and well regarded.

RobHolt, Aug 29, 2010
  9. JaredCE

nando nando

have a look at the mf m1 dac also like rob said v-dac is very good for the money, both are outstanding VFM.

nando, Aug 29, 2010
Ask a Question