Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gulliver, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Gulliver

Gulliver

Due to domestic changes, I will find myself needin a new amp in about a month or so. This is to partner some KEF IQ5 speakers (I won them), a Cambridge Azur CD player and a Project Expression turntable.

Funds are limited and given that I read the speakers are an 8 ohm load, I'll probably need something with a bit of oomph.

So, I'd appreciate any suggestions from those more experienced than I in this area.

While my musical tastes are eclectic, I tend to listen to a lot of Indie, but particularly enjoy Female vocal, and classical via my turntable.

Gulliver, Jan 10, 2007
  2. Gulliver

mr cat Member of the month

what kind of budget have you in mind..?

mr cat, Jan 10, 2007
  3. Gulliver

stevehi-fi stevehi-fi

amp to drive Kef's

I would recommend Creek amplification. I have a Creek pre-amp(passive) and two power amps(240wpc), and the 'grip' they have on my speakers(Tannoy R2's) is amazing, producing a 'high end'. sound. Spend as much as you can(wisely) on the amplifier(s). You have a fine CD player in the Azur 640, and it deserves partnering with a great amplifier(s). The Kef's are very good too.Are they bi-wired?

stevehi-fi, Jan 11, 2007
  4. Gulliver

Gulliver

Thanks for those responses, in answer to your questions:

I'm hoping to keep my spending as low as it can be (on account of said domestic changes), but if I'm buying new £500 max, second hand I'd be hoping to spend £400 max.

The speakers are bi wirable, but have not even been taken out of their boxes in anger as yet.

Gulliver, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Gulliver

Gulliver

Bump

Gulliver, Jan 12, 2007
  6. Gulliver

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

do you have seperate phono stage?

sq225917, Jan 12, 2007
  7. Gulliver

lordsummit moderate mod

Icon Audio 40i second hand, or it's Ming-da equivalent. The Kefs are a pretty easy load IIRC. Possibly the WAD EL84, that comes in at £500 built, they would both sound great with the Kef's and your TT. If you need a phono stage have a look at the Graham Slee offerings. Brilliant for the money.

lordsummit, Jan 12, 2007
  8. Gulliver

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I love valve amps, but I dont know if I'd reccomend them to someone new to hifi.

Having heard a friends Crown K1 studio amp, it's quite remarkable what you can get (in terms of high power digital amplifiers) for very little.

The Crown K1 I have heard is a league above any solid state amplifier I have heard under £1,000.. and I have certainly heard a shit load.

I HAVE NOT heard the exact Crown amplifier I have linked to below, but at 400w into 8ohms, it certainly is a power house, and I would be amazed if you were dissapointed.

I hope you're not put off by the studio heritage of the amplifier, what you're not paying for is audiophile mark-up or fancy pants casing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crown-Xs500-P...ryZ68247QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

bottleneck, Jan 12, 2007
  9. Gulliver

n.b
    you'd need to get a cable with the right kind of connector (maplins or whatever).

You wouldnt find a professional studio using anything as crap as an RCA plug.

bottleneck, Jan 12, 2007
  10. Gulliver

Neil

Very difficult to recommend an amplifier but I'd recommend single wiring your speakers, using short lengths of the cable you use instead of the metal 'jumpers' supplied.

Neil, Jan 12, 2007
  11. Gulliver

Gulliver

Many thanks for that, I'm only able to view the forum intermittently.

I've not got a seperate phono stage and much as I'd like dipping my toes into the crystalline world of valves, I'd be clueless.

And excuse my ignorance, but I thought 8 ohms meant the speakers were a bit of a load. Haven't quite got to grips with sensitivity then, it would seem.

Certainly like the idea of a sinle run with jumpers.

Any other suggestions would be greatly received.

Gulliver, Jan 16, 2007
  12. Gulliver

Tenson Moderator

Check out the Alesis RA500, a VERY good amp for the money. I use them with some slight modifications myself.

You will then need a simple pre-amp. You can get a nice Chinese valve pre-amp for about the same money as the RA500 to go with it, but personally I like passive preamps. Maybe try the new Promitheus.

Tenson, Jan 16, 2007
  13. Gulliver

Gulliver

Thanks for that suggestion.

I'm going to find it hard to audition studio 'type' equipment, so I'm probably going to be conservative and go for something solid state, and maybe use a phono stage if needs be.

I don't know yet where I'll be setting this up (between addresses), so anything that fits these perameters, would still be of interest.

This is all still relatively new to me and I'm a long way from picking up my first soldering iron in anger.

Gulliver, Jan 24, 2007
  14. Gulliver

hiya

don't forget, if you get a good brand name of hifi second hand on e-bay, you can get your money back by selling it again if you don't like it.

Makes like Rotel, Creek, NAD have all made amps that will have plenty of power and be in your budget second hand.

Your speakers are 88db efficient, which isnt bad, but means they will definately respond to quality power.

how about this for a nice combination, circa £400.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-Alpha-9...7QQihZ001QQcategoryZ14973QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-9-Integ...78QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

there are many options, but you could do a lot worse.

bottleneck, Jan 24, 2007
  15. Gulliver

Gulliver

I'm unable to get on to e-bay and sell things with a reserve price.

The upshot of this: As a seller and buyer I have to beware

I really have to be able to trust my source and get things right first time.
    (I've already found to my cost)

Gulliver, Jan 24, 2007
  16. Gulliver

I don't understand - I thought you were looking to buy an amplifier, not sell one?
    Again, I don't understand - why do you have to beware? - more than anyone else buying on ebay?

If you're a very cautious buyer, then you have to buy new from a reputable shop. You can then audition, try at home, take it back etc.

Obviously, you'll get 50% of the value compared to a second hand purchase, but that's what you get when you buy new I'm afraid.

bottleneck, Jan 24, 2007
Ask a Question