amp crash

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, Feb 23, 2005.

1. amir

amir

i'm not sure my amp crashed or not!
    i connected my amplifier to 6 ohm resistat for silent burn in of my speaker cables, and i now hear low level audio signal at high volume from my amplifier when i close my ears to my amplifier. this signal is more audibel at high frequency and is not noise it's audio signal. i don't know this is natural character or my amp damaged?!

amir, Feb 23, 2005
  2. amir

Graham C

Dont worry Amir. I have heard this too from an amp. I used to have an excellent NAD 3150 about 20 years ago. This used to sing along with the music, like you describe. It worked very well.

Graham C, Feb 23, 2005
  3. amir

amir

are you sure?
    i didnot noticed this problem in last, why now i hear it?
    i have krell 300il

amir, Feb 23, 2005
  4. amir

zanash

Things are just vibrating along in pleasent way.....who said micro vibs don't exist!

I would have used an 8 ohm 5 watt alu clad resistor.

zanash, Feb 23, 2005
  5. amir

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

It's the transformers in the amp. I assume you're doing this at high power. You've not heard it before because you normally play the amp into speakers, not resistors.

I-S, Feb 23, 2005
  6. amir

amir

you are ok, i listen at high power but i think for the first time i connected amp to resistant at high volume i just heard signal from two resistant not from my amp and after 2 day continus play i listen it from my amp and resistors. is this impossible?!!!!

amir, Feb 23, 2005
  7. amir

Graham C

My NAD had every concievable switch, including speakers A, A+B, B or off. This meant that the headphone jack was non-switching [a good thing]. One day I had the speakers switched off, and I looked up for the headphones cos I could hear something..but it was inside the amp! Same sound as yours makes. I reckon it was a plastic capacitor, or someone once suggested that heatsinks vibrated due to stray fields/currents. I never did find out.

That amp was built like a Krell, and once survived a bottle of lager spilt in it's insides, while it was powered up!! 10 minutes later it worked fine. Who said only valve amps were idiot proof??

Graham C, Feb 24, 2005
  8. amir

alexs2

I've had 3 Krells.....admittedly not KAVs,and none of them made any noise save for what comes out of the speakers and the cooling fan noise.

As for letting anything into the insides of one when powered up...no thanks...with 250 000uF of caps per channel inside,there's enough in there to give you a very nasty jolt for a lonnnnng time!

alexs2, Feb 24, 2005
Ask a Question