Amp Needed Budget £200-500

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Cerebral, May 25, 2009.

1. Cerebral

Tenson Moderator

No headphone output on the Cyrus stuff.

With the Cyrus 3, you need to change a few wires inside to connect the PSX-R, but its pretty easy. Just thought I'd mention it in case you ever try one and wonder why it does nothing!

Tenson, May 25, 2009
  2. Cerebral

Cerebral

Cheers for all the advice. I'm not very suprised many girls don't like Hi-Fi, Which is probably why the I-pod's are so popular tbh. I think the Cyrus 3, will be my first big step forward and with the money set aside i could probably afford to purchase that 840c, which i could use to upsample the 320kpbs mp3's i have. If hifi is anything like my headphone habit, i doubt this will be the end of my buying, i have brought over £2k's worth of headphones in the last 3 years! The reason i'm trying to stay withing my budget also is cause i have to look at a few other things too. such as A new 32inch Tv/Monitor, so wish me luck!

Do you think the Cyrus will be capable of Running Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII if i do upgrade to those at some point?

Cerebral, May 25, 2009
  3. Cerebral

Tenson Moderator

Dynaudios tend to like a lot of power, so they would appreciate the PSX-R. I don't think they are great speakers though TBH. I don't like the accentuated bass or the midrange of that woofer, which is made worse by the shallow crossover slopes.

I dunno what price they are exactly but I think they are in similar territory to the PMC TB2i? I'd probably go for those in preference.

Or if you want something small but lovely, have a look at the Kensai on my own website. They match well with the C3 amp. You are welcome to listen if you are near Gravesend, Kent.

Tenson, May 25, 2009
  4. Cerebral

DavidF

I've got a what hi fi guide to kit 2000 here.

The 7 gets a pretty good write up in fiarness. (however much faith you put in that).

I don't know about the three at all.

I've got an old cyrus 1 here.

I soon notice if I have to use that after the valves....but thats not too surprising.

I would be intersted to pitch a "7" gainst my valve amp but it'll never happen.

DavidF, May 25, 2009
  5. Cerebral

Cerebral

Hey guys,

A little Update for all those that are interested and have taken their time to reply.

I think i have managed to track down a Cyrus 3 for around 170 delivered, Funny thing is, i had a chance to pick up a Cyrus 7 for around another 70 pound more, but i thought long and hard and decide that the Cyrus 3 was my introduction to Hi-Fi

Also i have a little dilema, in that the 840c is huge in comparison to the Cyrus 3 and my attention has now been drawn to the Dacmagic, as at the moment most of my music is ripped to my hdd, I have a older Sony 930 es dvd player which i could use as transport, i was thinking this would be perfect for the time being?

Also a little update, i took the Lektor 2's back, reason being is that after living with them for the last week, i have decided to try the Ikon's as Richer sounds have agreed to exchange them for me( my friend work at one, hence why i shop there)

Well let me know what you all think about this?

As always a pleasure and have a nice day

Cerebral

ps: i will have to come listen to those speakers soon as i took a look at the review snippet and they sound promising!

Cerebral, May 29, 2009
  6. Cerebral

Cerebral

Hey all,

After spending more and more money, i think i am sorted now, Got the dac Magic with the cyrus and the dali ikon's. To say this sound good is an understandment, the dacmagic is a amazing piece of kit. Anyways i shall be sourcing a psx-r once fund permit, but i'm too busy enjoying my new purchase

all the best people and thankyou for helping me out

Cerebral, Jun 1, 2009
  7. Cerebral

mr cat Member of the month

nice one - whick ikons did you get..?

I got the 5...lovely speakers too... :)

mr cat, Jun 1, 2009
  8. Cerebral

DavidF

I don't agree.

Cables make for me a subtle but def difference.

For me it IS buying more music!

but C, as always, listen for yourself!

DavidF, Jun 2, 2009
  9. Cerebral

Cerebral

I manage to get them to order in some Ikon 2's for me. Most say having auditioned the B and w 685 i personally think the ikon blow them away, I know what hi-fi rave about them but for me they lacked the sound the Ikon 2's have given me, best way to explain it is, with the B & W 685 i found myself analyzing the sound, with the dali i found myself enjoying the music, this was all demoed on a Cyrus 8vs2, so i think it was fair on that respect!

Dali make some nice speakers, as i get more money i shall move up the ladder so to speak.

Well with the dac magic i picked up a set of azur ref to use with the cyrus 3 and they seem to be nice i must say. if only the Cyrus had balance outputs, that would be the icing on the cake.

For now i think i am finally satisfied to just enjoy my music.

Once i graduate and start making good money, i think i'll look at perhaps getting a nice 5.1 setup using Bryston or Krell poweramp and a lexicon processor. But i think the cyrus after having only had it less then 2 days is gonna be with me for a long time to come!

Now, i am going to be buying alot of music! any recommendation for something that i can really appreciate? I like all music and generally want to hear some well produced music.

Take care All

Cerebral

Cerebral, Jun 2, 2009
Ask a Question