Amp question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by D-man, Jan 18, 2007.

1. D-man

D-man

Hey Guys i'm new to the forum. I'm looking to upgrade my amp and wondered if anybody could make some sugestions.

My current set up is a Cyrus dad3q24 + PSX-R, Cyrus 7 + PSX-r driving a pair of Dynaudio 110's. Looking to get out of the Cyrus thing as I feel this could go on ad infinitum.

Don't really want to spend more than £1500 and i'm looking at an integrated for convenience. I have had primaluna prologue 1 suggested and Unico SE. Anybody any experience of these? Will these partner ok with Cyrus source and Dynaudio speakers?

Any advice - greatly appreciated.

Cheers

D-man

D-man, Jan 18, 2007
  2. D-man

nando nando

hi i do have experience with the unico se, it is a super amp, but may have trouble driving dynaudio spkrs. as far as sound goes it is a very sweet sounding amp,nando.

nando, Jan 18, 2007
  3. D-man

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

brief experience of dynaudio suggests they are current hungry.

which model of dynaudio do you have? - perhaps other dynaudio users will know its needs.

You mention a valve amp and a class A (I think) amp. I like them, but dont like telling everyone to get valves... and don't know if they would work with the Dynaudio.

There are a suprising number of nice integrated amps here -

http://www.centralaudio.co.uk/

Take a look.

Accuphase, EAR, Krell - lots of options depending on the sound you want and the power you need.

Wih your £1500 you can get an awful lot second hand - you can look a bit beyond the amps you mentioned IMO.

bottleneck, Jan 18, 2007
  4. D-man

unclepuncle

Agree with Chris regarding matching the amp to the speakers. I have Revel M22 speakrers which also require masses of grunt to get them singing. I do love valves and so decided to try them with an EAR 8L6 integrated but they sounded flat and one dimensional.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
    unclepuncle, Jan 19, 2007
  5. D-man

robert_cyrus

just to fly in the face of fashion, if that's the right expression -

using your 7 as a preamp into an x power would, i suspect, give your system the kick it needs at significantly under £1500.

see www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk for more information on everything cyrus (plus somewhere u could offload your 7 should u wish to sell)

regards
    robert

robert_cyrus, Jan 19, 2007
  6. D-man

D-man

bottleneck - the speakers are the Focus 110's, anybody's experience with these speakers (i.e. what they use to drive them) would be appreciated.

unclepuncle - thanks for the linkie will have a look.

robert - cu will be my first port of call if I choose to jump shit.

Cheers guys

D-man, Jan 19, 2007
  7. D-man

D-Man

no need, I've found the info here - http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/systems/lines/focus/focus110.php

They are 85db and represent a 4ohm load.

It might as well have a sticker on saying "big muscle amps only"

Sticking with the central audio site for the time being (just one of many of course)

I'd be looking at their Belcanto Evo 4 (if you have a cd player with a volume control on it),

the Krell 300il.

Im not reccomending any particular shop here.

At shadow audio, there is a 250w parasound pwr amp at £850 (you would need a pre)

A Belcanto Evo 2i (£1695)

An AVI lab series (£995)

An ATC 150 (£1395)

http://www.shadowaudio.co.uk/index.php?main_page=products_listing_used_products&cPath=21

I know you currently have an amp of smaller power, but to get the most from those speakers they need power, and lots of it..

bottleneck, Jan 19, 2007
  8. D-man

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I found this in a soundstage review, so at least the impedance curve shouldn't be a problem:

"The Focus 110's crossover features a simple first-order filter that transitions from tweeter to woofer at 1600Hz. The sensitivity of the 110 is specified as 85dB at 2.83V at 1m with nominal 4-ohm impedance. I was a little concerned about the low impedance value and the effects it may have on amplifier performance if it were to dip below 4 ohms, but Dynaudio assures potential buyers that the crossover is impedance-corrected, so the speaker's impedance will never fall below 4 ohms. One still needs to be careful to partner these speakers with an amplifier that is stable into a 4-ohm load. The IEC long-term power handling of these speakers is said to be greater than 150W, and the frequency response is stated to be 45Hz-25kHz (+/- 3dB)."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
    SteveC, Jan 19, 2007
  9. D-man

bemcsa

Hi D-man

Some of that cyrus kit looks very familiar :D

I would suggest a bel canto Evo 2i integrated and keep the dad3 + psx-r. They can be had off Audiogon for about £1000 (there is also one on hififorsale) and provide plenty of grunt.

bemcsa, Jan 19, 2007
  10. D-man

bottleneck, Jan 19, 2007
  11. D-man

unclepuncle

I was going to buy that Parasound A21 myself to use direct with a Wadia 301 I had recently (now sold) but it was an inch too high to fit in my rack - bugger!!:(

Also the new Bel Canto integrated (S300i I think?) can be bought on Audiogon for about a grand and does not need any voltage conversion to use in the UK (according to an email I had from Bel Canto anyway).

12. D-man

Tenson Moderator

I pointed out another Parasound to D-man, the HCA-3500 which is for ~£750 in the SOM sale, but which is better?

Tenson, Jan 19, 2007
  13. D-man

unclepuncle

No idea - but the A21 Halo amp is newer (I think) and definitely a much better looker:)

Given that my hifi is only playing music for about 3-4 hours a week looks and styling become important as I can only sit there starring at it:D

14. D-man

D-man

Lots of info here guys, many thanks.

bottleneck - Thaks for those links I think i need to do some serious research.

Bemsca - The Cyrus has served me well and I will certainly keep the cdp, just need a bit more balls with amplification. I was originally thinking of getting Cyrus mono's but I am sure you can get more for your money if you think outside the (shoe)box.

Do people regularly buy from this Audiogon site? If I was to get the bel canto would it need modding for the UK?

D-man, Jan 19, 2007
  15. D-man

I use audiogon quite a lot, you have to be very careful regarding voltage conversions - sometimes its a new transformer, and you can be talking hundreds

(and don't forget import duty on top of shipping).

I quite fancy this Krell

[​IMG]

and this audio research pre

[​IMG]

not bad for about £1,500!

...but then I have a 'thing' for the old class A heatfin-covered Krells, and the Audio Research Pre's I think look the muts nuts, and sound not bad too.

certainly, your dynaudio's wouldn't know what hit them!

bottleneck, Jan 19, 2007
  16. D-man

Tenson Moderator

Isn't that one of the Krells which had such sharp 'precision engineering' that the edge on all the metal would cut a hole in your leg if you brushed past it? :eek:

Although the big strong equipment like that does look good, I find myself looking at my stack of 3 big 250wpc amps and pine for my old Cyrus integrated, it was so sleek!

Tenson, Jan 19, 2007
  17. D-man

D-man

Wow after Cyrus they are BIG. Kinda look like some of the rack-mountable guitar kit I used to use.

I think I will struggle to replace 2 Cyrus boxes with a krell power and seperate pre and get away with it.

the bel canto looks good and is in my price bracket any tips re. voltage conversions - presumably this would need to be sent to somebdy to do?

I must admit i'm getting very keen on a beefier amp, playing my kit today it does lack some of the control I would like and really needs to be cranked to get the dyn's singing. Would a more powerful amp allow for lower listening levels?

D-man, Jan 19, 2007
  18. D-man

oh not the dreaded WAF!

...try showing her the pics and say.... 'if you let me have that I will buy you shoes' ...

nb
    if your cd player has a volume control, a Belcanto Evo 2i for £1000 as mentioned is cheap enough not to bother importing one second hand IMO.

Your money and call however.

bottleneck, Jan 19, 2007
  19. D-man

D-man

well not WAF yet, still only GAF.

My mistake I thought the evo2i was an integrated, the cyrus cdp doesn't have a volume control.

D-man, Jan 19, 2007
  20. D-man

bemcsa

The evo2i is an integrated (hence the i).

The evo2 is a 2 channel power amp and the evo4 a 4 channel power amp that can be bridged (effectively 2 evo2's in one case).

I have the evo4 and voltage conversion to 240v is just a matter of swapping a few wires around. I believe converting an evo2i is not too complicted (wadiameister will know).

bemcsa, Jan 19, 2007
Ask a Question