Amp question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by D-man, Jan 18, 2007.

1. D-man

bemcsa

If you are interested in an evo2i there is one here in the uk. No price, but it should be between £1000 and £1500 (and no, its not mine)

bemcsa, Jan 19, 2007
  2. D-man

Tenson Moderator

Hmm.. although the BelCanto is a good amp, I'm not sure it would be the best choice if D-Man is very happy with the sound of the Cyrus and wants more control and dynamics etc.. BelCanto seemed quite a warm smooth amp when I heard it before. I would have thought that a ParaSound or Bryston etc... would be a better sonic match especially after Cyrus, ne? How about a DK Audio integrated? Anyone seem them second-hand? They are about £2.5k new I think, and quite lively sounding like the Cyrus.

http://www.thelsagroup.com/

Tenson, Jan 19, 2007
  3. D-man

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

didn't appreciate the 'i' was for integrated... you live and learn :)

bottleneck, Jan 19, 2007
  4. D-man

bemcsa

I went from a cyrus amp (in fact the one that d-man now has) to an evo 4 and wouldn't describe it as warm. In fact a lot of people think they are a bit on the clinical side.

Having said that, there are probably many other suitable amps out there that may be more to d-man's liking.

bemcsa, Jan 19, 2007
  5. D-man

my advice....'get massive speakers and amps NOW, so she can't complain if you marry her' !

bottleneck, Jan 19, 2007
  6. D-man

Andy 831

D-Man and others

Strummer across on PFM has just imported a Bel Canto S300i Integrated 300 watts I think.

Its a nice amp and very powerful, Its also a one box solution that is only about as big as a shoebox size Niam ie half width case.

As regards voltage changes? this is not necessary it can simply be plugged into uk mains, it somehow senses it`s plugged into 240v and sorts its self out. I am no techie but thats how it was described to me.

Suggest you talk to Strummer he really likes it, sold all his Naim kit on the back of buying it.

Andy 831, Jan 20, 2007
  7. D-man

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Arcam A32

technobear, Jan 20, 2007
  8. D-man

D-man

Andy831 - Looks cool and would get the full WAF stamp of approval I imagine. Plus don't have to fanny around with conversions, however, it is at the to end of my budget though. Wouldn't look out of place with my remaining Cyrus kit either - hmm tempted... Would I need to register at PFM to get into contract with Strummer?

Having said that, there are probably many other suitable amps out there that may be more to d-man's liking.

Thats the probelm unless you dedicate your life to listening to them all you'll just never know. I really want to get something that will drive the dyn's well (as I don't envisage upgrading my speakers) that doesn't take over my front room, and I like the simplicity of the one box solution.

I like the Cyrus house sound - I like the detail and the articulation and the dyanamic presentation but sometimes it can lack a bit of "boogie", a bit of life. I think i'm looking for more "musicality" so I can enjoy the music rather than the sound reproduction and i'm looking to maximise my current speakers.

D-man, Jan 21, 2007
  9. D-man

Andy 831

Well first off registering at PFM is no hardship and is certainly as active a Forum as this one and Wigwam.

To be honest you find most of the chaps on the other two forums tend to be members here too. (Tony L) who lurks on ZG owns the PFM site

If you don`t want to register at

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net

Then I will talk to Strummer (Ian) and ask him if its ok for you to contact him through his private email address. He is a nice guy and very approachable. Just let me know thats what you want to do.

With regard to you other point about there being "other amps" out there more suitable, Probably there is, but its a bit of a compromise this HI FI hobby, and its not likely that anyone can hear everything thats available.

Incidently whilst the Bel Canto is a very Dynamic powerful amp, I personally find it a bit clinical and I could probably not live with it......... but then I prefer valves anyway

Andy 831, Jan 21, 2007
  10. D-man

D-man

Thanks Andy, have registered on PFM and PM'ed strummer. I read with interest the thread on the s300i.

D-man, Jan 21, 2007
  11. D-man

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I've had a Bel Canto S300i here for a week and I didn't find it short of boogey factor or involvement. Nice amp. It would be on my short list.

If you can't stretch to that then the Arcam A32 is very good and offers rather more in the way of facilities (and is also available in black :cool: ).

Second hand, I notice Shadow Audio have a couple of pre-loved ATC SIA2-150. One of them falls into your price range. Great with Dynaudios (I had Contour 1.1s).

technobear, Jan 21, 2007
  12. D-man

what are the differeces between an evo 2 and an s300i?

Is it something to do with a cheaper digital board or something?

one is from tripath, the other from B&O or Bose?

... if someone could clarify..

bottleneck, Jan 21, 2007
  13. D-man

D-man

Bottleneck - I think it is that is the difference the new s3ooi uses the ice module and so can be squeezed into a smaller box. Seriously tempted to get one of these babys and was looking on Audiogon. Anybody purchased from this site before?

I'm actually gonna be in New York in a couple of weeks so it would be cool if I could pick one up whilst i'm there. Anybody recommend any NYC hi-fi shops that may do this amp?

D-man, Jan 23, 2007
  14. D-man

D-man

ended up getting the s300i and i've been dancing around my living room all week! fantastic little amp really gets my dyns singing. thanks to everybody who posted advice. cheers

D-man, Mar 16, 2007
Ask a Question