Amp recommendations for Ref 3A Dulcet's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by McShads, Jul 5, 2008.

1. McShads

McShads

Rather a change from the Tannoy's which just didn't work for me in my room. I've now got a pair of the Dulcet's and I'm very impressed. Any other owners on here, what amp are you using?
    Thanks

McShads, Jul 5, 2008
  2. McShads

D Louth 77

Hi mcshads

wonderful speakers the little Dulcets ,i use a set in a tiny upstairs room . The distributor Simon was amazed when i told him the results i was getting . They sit on atacama r724 stands and those on blocks of granite 5 inch thick(upstairs room with crap floor boards ) . The speakers like to be up high ,tweeters above ear level and facing straight ahead or just a very slight degree of toe in(not to much).

The system varies a bit but i have had a lot of good results with the following . Ear pre amp (can't remember model ,sold for £1800)+Audio innovations S1000 mk3 mono amps(with Tung-Sol 5881 reissue valves),Bat vk300se, Pathos classic one x2 (or one by itself),Eco fan 2 input pre and Eco fan 6a3 5watt single ended (on loan from a friend ,damn these are fantastic.When my friend asked me what i thought,I told him that he had ruined me.). Cd player is a Marantz cd7 and a AMR cd77 . Cabling xlo and Audience Au 24 .

The dulcets will work on the end of 300b amps too,but if you want to use them in a big room ,then you will need power. Purity of sound ,clean no colourations and just to the warmer side of neutral ;Sugden might be a possibility too.

Set the Dulcets up well and they are amazing,detailed great at imaging and very musical . I love the Ref 3a sound ,and it was purely by chance that Simon sent me a pair and they worked in this problem room . Anyway i bought a set a few years ago and i am constantly amazed at what they do in this tiny room. The walls vanish ,and i am left with a big ,deep soundstage and very precise imaging (no cross over as such and very closely matched drive units,bass/mid built by Ref 3a ),anyway i like these and i hope you get a lot of pleasure from them.

Regards D Louth

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
    D Louth 77, Jul 5, 2008
  3. McShads

McShads

Hi DL
    Thanks for the thoughts. I've only just got the speakers but I'm already very impressed, I can't wait to get to know them better. I'm sure the 'no' x over has much to do with their charm. I totally agree with you straight ahead and high, I've got them on 28" stands.
    I'm currently using a Sugden A21 and it doesn't do a lot wrong but I'm sure I could do better. I tried a 2A3 push pull 11W but it was not enough for me in my room approx. 10'x 16'. I reckon 20W or there abouts to be a realistic minimum for me.
    Regards

McShads, Jul 5, 2008
Ask a Question