Amp recommendations

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Wes, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Wes

Wes

I'm looking for an amp to drive 2 B&W scm-1's in a surround set up. The pre will be a Krell Showcase.. you guys got any recommendations?

Wes, Feb 9, 2004
  2. Wes

Wes

:banghead:

I neglected to mention that my price range is somewhere between $1000-$1500 (550-750 gbp) used.

Wes, Feb 9, 2004
  3. Wes

julian2002 Muper Soderator

what amps are you using for your front channels? something tonally close to them would be best. rotel immediately spring to mind or nad perhaps. they both have a lot of clout but i've found the rotel amps i've heard to be a bit ragged in the treble but this may not matter for surrounds. if you want to go a bit more esoteric crimson are quite good.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Wes

merlin

Hi Wes,

Over here B&W use Classe for their dems, no doubt due to them having European distribution.

A used CA101 or CA201 should be in your price range, although compatibility with the Showcase would be an unknown. Still for surround duties, their qualities should be ample. An alternative would be used Krells, maybe KAV250 or KAV150. Also there are many fans of BelCanto over here, a used Evo 200.2 is within budget.

As Julian says, realistically, I find it preferable to use matching amplification on all channels, the last thing you want is the rear soundstage to somehow sound different.

merlin, Feb 9, 2004
  5. Wes

Wes

I'm using a krell kav-2250 for the fronts (which are b&w cdm-9's by the way).. I wouldn't be opposed to ditching the kav-2250 and replacing it with a showcase amp, but it seems they don't pop up on the used market too often.

Wes, Feb 9, 2004
  6. Wes

julian2002 Muper Soderator

merlin,
    i believe that b&w also distribute rotel too? or am i behind the times again here.
    wes,
    if you are using krell on the front channels then it would probably be worth looking at a musical fidelity 2 chanel amp too.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Wes

michaelab desafinado

Cool, it's about time we had an amp thread :D

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 10, 2004
Ask a Question