Amp with AV mode ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by glennc, Jul 21, 2006.

1. glennc

glennc

Hi

having changed my system to a 5.1 system last year am now mossing the extra performance of a dedicated 2 ch amp.

I know that alot of arcam intregrated amps have an AV mode (processor mode) so it can be used as a fixed gain power amp for the front channels when watching movies and operate as a normal amp for music.

Do any other amps have this facility and does anyone have any experience of using this type of configuartuion.

Thanks

Glenn

glennc, Jul 21, 2006
  2. glennc

mr cat Member of the month

hi, my Nad c350 has this function (I now use my Nad c270 power amp too) where the c350 drives th 2 main speakers (and sub for music duties) and the av amp drive the other speakers - I'm happy with this as using the c270 means that I only have to flickj a switch on the back of that when alternating between cds and dvds (stereo and av duties respectively).

I'm sure there are better solutions but this one is quite cheap and the sound is most impressive

mr cat, Jul 21, 2006
  3. glennc

Garrardman

You could always buy a 2 channel amp for music use that drives your front speakers, and just feed the preamp level outputs for the front 2 channels from your 5.1 amp into one of its inputs for 5.1 use.

Garrardman, Jul 21, 2006
  4. glennc

be careful tho - as with some amps you have to use both the amp's remotes to get the volume correct whilst listening to dvds - at least with my setup you only have to use the yammys av remote - no matter what the volume on the nad happens to be - I had that problem with the MF x-80 - I sold that on within a few days...

mr cat, Jul 21, 2006
  5. glennc

robert_cyrus

cyrus pre amps and integrated amps have this facility, where you can either set an input to a fixed gain, or reduce / increase the gain for a given input.

robert_cyrus, Jul 21, 2006
  6. glennc

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Most NAD amps back to the year dot have had such a facility by virtue of their back-panel link between pre out and power in. Current models do, including the M3 (but not its predecessor, the S300. This is the only NAD integrated I'm aware of that does not have this facility).

The Audiolab 8000S has a front-panel control that allows you to change its configuration in this respect.

I-S, Jul 21, 2006
  7. glennc

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

I tried all sorts of different setups, the Naim AV2 was about the best, however it still lacked the absolute musical-ness of a dedicated 2 channel pre amp.

I ended up running 2 pre systems and joining them at the power amps, I will see if I can explain it better.

Hi Fi System
    The TT and CD are both connected to the Rega Cursa pre, which in turn is connected to the Rega Maia power amps via the preouts, and obviously in turn the speakers.

AV System
    The DVD is connected to the processor, with the centre and surrounds preouts connected to their appropriate RB991 power amps, and thus to the speakers themselves. The sub preout connects directly to the the Rel.

Now here is the clever bit, the preouts for the L&R are connect to the additional inputs on the Rega Maia power amps, therefore connects to the speakers.

Integration
    This system only seems to work with amps that have two sets of inputs on the power amps.

One thing I do make sure of, is that only one of the pre amp or the processor is on at any given time, as I would not want to send two signals to the Maias, just in case!

I have thought in the future I may buy a Hi Fi pre/power amps with balanced output/inputs, thus enabling to keep both systems completely separate, as I would be able to switch the power amp from balanced (Hi Fi) to unbalanced (AV).

I hope this helps, it took some working out, and a lot of trial and error, but it does work and I am happy with it.

Levi_501, Jul 21, 2006
  8. glennc

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

BTW, the method I use eliminates strange volume problems, as pre amp does Hi Fi vol, and processor does the AV vol.

Levi_501, Jul 21, 2006
  9. glennc

Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock, Jul 21, 2006
  10. glennc

ditton happy old soul

I have used an Audiolab 8000S for this purpose. Check reviews. I may have one going spare due to upgrade - to the the evo4 :)

ditton, Jul 21, 2006
  11. glennc

glennc

Thanks guys some interesting ideas there

Glennc

glennc, Jul 22, 2006
  12. glennc

MartinC Trainee tea boy

My Densen Beat 200 pre-amp has an AV pass through; I don't know about the B-250 but I'd guess it would too.

MartinC, Jul 22, 2006
  13. glennc

indolent

The new Belcanto amps WadiaMeister is touting (and are very nice indeed) also have a selectable AV mode on 1 channel. So to do Gamut amps.

indolent, Jul 23, 2006
  14. glennc

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Worth noting perhaps that any integrated with a discrete volume control (eg current Rega, bel canto, etc) can be reproducably set to the correct gain level for AV use even if it lacks a specific AV passthrough.

I-S, Jul 23, 2006
  15. glennc

how would this compare to me Nads and what price woul it cost?

mr cat, Aug 8, 2006
  16. glennc

no one got any answers for me..? :rolleyes:

mr cat, Aug 9, 2006
Ask a Question