Amplifier Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Pastiesboy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Pastiesboy

Pastiesboy

I have decided to put a second system together using some HiFi I have lying around but I'll need to purchase an amp to complete a system. I have a Meridian 506.24 cd player and a pair of Epos es11's. What amplifier would you guys suggest trying to bridge the sonic gap, and complement these components? I'm big on naturalism and vocals and love a good, well defined soundstage. I listen to lots of different music but least of all classical and out and out pop music. I have a budget of up to £400 (thats up to, less would be better) and would prefer to go the higher quality/secondhand route. I care not a jot about asthetics! Any suggestions welcome. Thanks, Ryan.

Pastiesboy, Jun 21, 2005
  2. Pastiesboy

lordsummit moderate mod

Soemthing by Naim, or one of those Chinese Ming-Da's from Edenlake, there's one cheaper than mine that looks just the same, should be on budget

lordsummit, Jun 21, 2005
  3. Pastiesboy

Pastiesboy

My Lord, could you expand on the Naim suggestion as I am extremlely unfamiliar with model numbers etc. Thanks.

Pastiesboy, Jun 21, 2005
  4. Pastiesboy

lordsummit moderate mod

Alright then, £400 would be enough to buy you a very nice Nait 3R or a 3 the R denotes remote control. There's the Nait 2, much loved but I think overpriced and for anything but a small system underpowered. I'll probably start some sort of war saying that but that's my opinion. There's also the Nait 1 which is less powerful still. Pre-amps in the case width come in the following flavours in ascending order of preference, 42/62/32/72. I ran a 62 for some time and it sounds very nice, the 32 isn't as new, but it was a top dollar amp in its day. There's also the 92 which I'll come to in a minute
    Power amps you'll be looking at either a 110 or a 140. The 140 is a classic, was in production for donkeys and kicks like a mule, the 110 is a little less rorty but sounds very nice.
    The one to avoid is the 90/92 combo, this is basically a Nait 3 in two boxes, it doesn't really gain anything that the Nait 3 hasn't already got.
    I prefer my Edenlake valves to all of these though, that's why I sold mine! Don't write them off, they've won a lot of fans.

lordsummit, Jun 21, 2005
  5. Pastiesboy

rsand I can't feel my toes

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2005
    rsand, Jun 21, 2005
  6. Pastiesboy

Pastiesboy

My GOD those Edenlakes look STUNNING!!!!!!! "I care not a jot about asthetics". What do they sound like? Can any of you guys expand little? What £400 get you in terms of performance? Any idea on suitabillty with the components I listed?

Pastiesboy, Jun 21, 2005
  7. Pastiesboy

rsand I can't feel my toes

They sound just as good! Most prefered richards edenlake to my (at the time) Nu Vista M3 integrated at a recent bake off. It convinced me to take the plunge valvewards. Admittedly I didn't buy an edenlake but VERY NEARLY did.

rsand, Jun 21, 2005
  8. Pastiesboy

lordsummit moderate mod

Tony on the other place (PFM) reckons my Ming-da which is the 34A would give his Densen a run for it's money. Where are you PB, if you're anywhere near the North-West you're welcome to come and listen to mine. To give you some idea it drives my Meadowlarks fantastically well. The makers quote anything above 86Db to be suitable, I'd say on what I've seen that would be true.

lordsummit, Jun 21, 2005
  9. Pastiesboy

lordsummit moderate mod

A rather poor picture of my Bling-Da[​IMG]
    It's the only gold one he's seen!

lordsummit, Jun 21, 2005
  10. Pastiesboy

Pastiesboy

I am smitten, that looks too good. I have to keep it real though, it is a second system after all. What are we talkin in terms of sheckles, what would my £400 get me?

Pastiesboy, Jun 21, 2005
Ask a Question