Amplifier woes

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Sep 22, 2005.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Just sitting there minding my own business listening to a bit of Can, when big bang, and no power to the amp. No lights nothing. Had the bottom off but I haven't a bloody clue, and couldn't see any fuses there. It's a Ming-Da MC34A so I'm guessing I need an operative. Can a guitar technician do the job, or do I need to find someone like that chap in Leeds, I could go there I guess if necessary, it's only 45mins away from me. I've tried a different mains lead and that produced no joy. Are there fuses lurking somewhere, or is it likely to be a blown valve? Would that cause an incomplete circuit and therefore the lack of life? Will any other components have gone west? Is it likely to be terminal or needing a second mortgage. I'd just agreed to buy a new CD player.
    Arse biscuits as they say
    Cheers guys for any help.

lordsummit, Sep 22, 2005
  2. lordsummit

zanash

Have you a multimeter ?

The only valve failures I've heard tend to be slow affairsd where theres sudenly some distortion and then no music. But ......

A sudden loss normally means a more catastrofic failure ie blown fuse etc.

Do you have a set of replacment valves ?......if so drop them in and see if you get any music or anysound at all. If yes swap out one valve for the old set and see if any have failed. You can sometimes tell if the glass has become silvered from the in side, due to metal parts vapourising and the being deposited on the relatively cooler glass.

If you have a meter you can carefully check continuity of the more obvious compnents in the power supply and heater curcuits. But if in doubt keep out !!!

As to a tech I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that might help.....I'll have a search and see if I can find anyone local to you.

zanash, Sep 23, 2005
  3. lordsummit

NRG

There's a guy over on the WAD forums who can repair amps.

NRG, Sep 23, 2005
  4. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm going to try these www.audiolabs.co.uk. and see if they can do it, they're not to far away. I'll ring them as soon as they open.

lordsummit, Sep 23, 2005
Ask a Question