an 'emotional' cartridge for a deadpan deck?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by silverback11, Feb 24, 2011.

1. silverback11

silverback11

Hello...I'm new here (tho' far from new in body!) but would like some advice please.
    Returning to Vinyl after a 5 year gap (previously owning a Townshend rock) I am considering an SME 10/ V combination for the neutral, detailed sound, the engineering and the small footprint. However, I have heard them sounding a tad clinical with some cartridges, and am hoping therefore to add a little romance and warmth to the party with my cartridge choice. Further up the system, I own an integrated valve amp with an excellent in built MC stage and some Harbeth loudspeakers. I doubt that my budget will stretch beyond £1500 for the cartridge and sensible auditioning is near impossible. Can anyone suggest makes or specific models that will add a little warm, melodic balance to the SME's cleanliness?
    Many thanks

silverback11, Feb 24, 2011
  2. silverback11

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I think your valve amp should add enough to the neutrality of the SME10/V combo. I run a Benz LP in mine and don't feel like I need any more romance or warmth- but your idea of warmth could be my idea of syrup. An audition really is the only way forward, especially as the Harbeths are quite mellow in the mids already.

If you really do want to add midband focus and romance then the standard cart suggestion would be a Koetsu black or one of the better moving magnet carts, Grado Reference for example. They would both be too pipe and slippers for me.

Find a good dealer if you can who has carts in stock and can let you hear a few back to back.

sq225917, Feb 24, 2011
  3. silverback11

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

4. silverback11

silverback11

sq225917.
    Many thanks. The valve amp is actually not 'that' emotional, but I agree that Koetsu's (which I have heard in the past) might be a tad too maple syrup for my taste. You say 'your'...do you mean you own an SME 10/V? I am interested in Benz since reading a report suggesting plenty of musicality (I appreciate that individual tastes vary)...can you confirm this or suggest other makes in that ilk?

silverback11, Feb 25, 2011
  5. silverback11

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Yup, I run a 10/V with a Benz LP, it's a very good combination. I find it a very insightful and honest cart, keeps me engaged in the music and utterly fatigue free.

I think the LP is in that handful of carts that do things just right. I haven't heard any of the lower Benz carts so can't say how they sound. I have friends with the older Ruby and they rate that heavily, say it does most of what mine does, and they are decent money.

I've pm'd you on on offer.

sq225917, Feb 25, 2011
  6. silverback11

i_should_coco Monkey

Shelter make some lovely cartridges. Just ever so slightly on the sweet side.

i_should_coco, Feb 26, 2011
  7. silverback11

Papa Lazarou

Agreed on the Shelter recomendation, but then i am biased.

Papa Lazarou, Feb 28, 2011
  8. silverback11

Tarzan

Lyra would certainly liven things up, lMHO of course.:)

Tarzan, Mar 1, 2011
Ask a Question