An interesting evening....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Oct 30, 2003.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

...was spent modding my new superdac.

First off, the DAC was acquired on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21145&item=2959208218

No PSU, but not exactly an issue since I was going to make my own (WM style :D ).

A quick order to farnell for some parts (a toroid, a box for it, some case mount IECs, parts to build a cable to connect the DAC to PSU, case mount phonos for the DAC. All part numbers available on request).

Threw things together this evening (DAC mod for phonos done, psu not in box (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME), and it all works.

I won't comment on the sound yet, because I need to get used to it, then go back to the plain '991, and also I need to get a digital i/c (using a cable talk analogue ic for this at the moment. It's better than nothing, but I imagine significant improvements to be reaped here). I also need to get the PSU boxed up properly (for which I have a rather superb die cast alu box coated with polycarb paint. For £9, I was seriously impressed!).

Pics will follow.

I-S, Oct 30, 2003
  2. I-S

Well, I was right to wait for a proper cable...

The sound is pretty natural, although not quite as detailed as my '991 alone.

Interesting that it seems one (at least) of the copy protected CDs I have upsets it slightly, and it loses the data stream for a moment.

I-S, Oct 31, 2003
  3. I-S

Well, here's some pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, large benefits (to my ears... we know what Tones (not WM) will say...) were reaped when the superdac was powered from the trichord powerblock with a Eupen.

I-S, Nov 3, 2003
  4. I-S

Phill77

Mine doesn't like copy protected cd's either, get the occasional click and pop.

All sorted if I rip the disc and make myself a copy though, but damn annoying.

Phill77, Nov 3, 2003
  5. I-S

Mine is fine with Dido - Life for Rent. It occasionally drops out momentarily on Lene Marlin - Another Day (perhaps because this is HDCD encoded in addition to copy protection. It's fine with non-copy protected HDCDs). Just trying Massive Attack - 100th window now...

I-S, Nov 3, 2003
  6. I-S

Mark67

Issac, Mate,

You could do with some of this on your Rotel CDP......

[​IMG]

It'll bring up a treat :) :) :) .

Mark67, Nov 3, 2003
  7. I-S

Pah... only see the marks with the flashlight...

Yeah, it skips on 100th Window too. I think a few strong words to the record companies are in order....

I-S, Nov 3, 2003
  8. I-S

michaelab desafinado

So, is it the DAC that's having problems or the Rotel? It would be odd if the Rotel could play the CDs fine but then couldn't output an error corrected digital stream to the DAC :confused: ....unless of course the error correction was being done in Rotel's internal DAC (which would be highly unusual).

One of the things that Cactus Data Sheild does is introduce deliberate "errors" and mess with the C2 level error correction information such that (in theory) a normal CD player's error correction mechanism would correct the errors whereas not many PC drives have this level of error correction so they fail to read properly on them. Fortunately for me my PC drive (NEC 1300A DVD burner) handles CDS protected CDs just like a normal Hifi player - so ripping perfectly is no problem :p

For others, Exact Audio Copy will do the error correction in software but it will just take a lot longer.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 4, 2003
  9. I-S

Phill77

I get the same clicks and pops regardless of what transport I use, so I guess that means the superdac can't handle it.
    My old dac never had this problem.

Phill77, Nov 4, 2003
  10. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The super dac here never has had any probs playing 'ripped cd's all Timpys I might add ;) Never once refused any, I don't have any at all, but over 90% of the ones here are offical back ups :) never once had a problem here, with this :confused:.
    What goes down here then guys?, Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 4, 2003
  11. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Tony I think its copy protected CDs causing it probs rather than copied CDs ;)

Mike, I've never tried copying a protected disc with EAC yet, normal ones take about 10-20 minutes, how long do protected ones take?

PBirkett, Nov 4, 2003
  12. I-S

It's only some specific copy protected CDs. Dido's latest album plays fine, but Massive Attack and Lene Marlin's latest don't.

I will try making a copy via wav extraction (if I can)...

I-S, Nov 4, 2003
  13. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Dont you just love the record companies for doing this :rolleyes: It will encourage piracy even more IMO.

PBirkett, Nov 4, 2003
  14. I-S

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Forgive the off topicness, but what's this album like Isaac? I really like her first one but hadn't realised she'd released a second yet. If it's an HDCD as well that's a real bonus :D .

MartinC, Nov 4, 2003
  15. I-S

michaelab desafinado

It depends on the drive you use. If I use my NEC 1300A which does all the error correction anyway then it's the same as a normal CD (about 10-20 mins).

When I tried ripping a protected CD using EAC with my other drive it had spent about 5 minutes on the first track and was projecting a time of 2-3 hours :eek: - at which point I gave up. It should be quicker though because it's generally only the first track and then one or two others that have the corruption in them so the rest should be normal speed.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 4, 2003
  16. I-S

Martin - Another Day is not as distinguished as Playing my Game. I can put it on when I leave home, and then I notice when it ends, as I get close to work... It's more background than playing my game, and I can't really listen to it more critically because of the issue with the superdac....

Certainly Another Day is in the same vein, and if you liked playing my game you probably won't dislike Another day, but you might find it a bit dull...

I-S, Nov 4, 2003
  17. I-S

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Cheers for that Isaac. I might see if I can find somewhere to listen to it, or look for some tracks on the web before rushing to buy it...

MartinC, Nov 4, 2003
Ask a Question