Analogue recording - Noise

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Feb 19, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Just bought a microhpone but it isn't a PC type so it won't worth with my sound card.

I have an old (circa 1982) tape deck and I recording onto that, then feeding into my PC in another room via a walkman.

When I record on it there is quite loud buzzing sound which increases when you turn the recording level up. Does anybody know what this it and how to fix it?

amazingtrade, Feb 19, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

What sort of mic is it? I expect you could just get an adaptor or change the cable to use it directly into the PC. Otherwise try using Dolby Noise Reduction or use a PC program like CoolEdit to sample the noise on its own and then remove it from the recording.

Tenson, Feb 19, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Its an dymanic mike, just a cheapo £8 thing but the cable says on it proffesional low noise cable, its a balanced cable. I've tried dolby its still noisy, I will try it again when my sisters gone out (its her deck so its in her room).

I guess I will have to digital remove it, I used to have a copy of Adobe Audition but l lost it, but I have Audacity which willl probably do fine.

4. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Sounds like you've either got an earthing issue, or the mic is picking up motor noise. try and get it further away from your recording device. Is their switchable sensitivity anywhere, I seem to remember in the dim and distant past a tape recorder I owned having to move a switch somewhere to make the input mic instead of line or something. If you didn't it buzzed on the recording.

lordsummit, Feb 19, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Yeah I've already checked that, it is line input, I will double check this becuase those old erarly 80's Japaneese switches behave oddly.

They are not simple on and off ones like we have to today, this deck is one of the earliest microprocessor controled ones.

The mic is placed in a position where it cannot pick up motor noise, I thought it could be the earth too, but thats going to be hard to fix :(.

6. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

If it is indeed balanced, which seems odd on a £8 mic, then just solder on a unbalanced jack. Solder the 'cold' wire to earth, earth to earth (obviously) and the 'hot' to the live tip of the jack, it will work just fine. It sounds like a better option than using a tape deck all the time.

For more detailed info on how to wire balanced and unbalanced cables look at one of the soundcraft manuals like page 12 on this one - http://www.soundcraft.com/download....des/spirit_e_series/ES_User_Guide_English.pdf

Tenson, Feb 19, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

Thats not the problem, it probably ins't balanced anyway, it but it does have an XLR plug, its probably not balanced though (used the wrong word). It comes with a 6.3mm jack and I have a small adaptor for the t go into the sound card.

Also using the computer has the added problem of fan noise. At least with the cassete deck I can record in silence.

PS Hope that didn't sound like a rant, I know you'e just trying to help.

Just very stressed out at the moment.

8. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

erm why wont it work on a pc?ok you may need to add a capacitor in the signal line if your soundcard gives out a polarizing voltage,but most mics will be able to tolarate that.

themadhippy, Feb 19, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

I have a built in crappy sound card, so it may not even have a mic input, I may actually be pluggin into line in.

I've already wasted enough money buying a microhpone which i already had one I assumed didn't work. :JOEL:

10. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

have you checked there aint a software switch to select mic/line?,also have you increased the recording level on the puter,not sure were yours will be,on mine its a double click on the speaker icon by the clock,select options-propetys-recording,this should give you a list of possible inputs to record from,make sure mic is selected,click ok select mic and increase/decrease the fader until the get a suitable level

themadhippy, Feb 19, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

Solved the problem, I am now using the tape deck to loop through hence not having to use the cassetes, so recordings will be digital.

Its not humming now at all, which is odd, the cassete deck is connected to the line in on my soundcard.

Ask a Question