another car probelm...sigh...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mr cat, Aug 5, 2004.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

I've had a few problems with my car (L reg Peugeot 306 XR)- when I try to start it up, the key doesn't turn at all, not even past the first point...then after a while, it does, but the dashboard lights come on, but its still dead...then hey presto, is starts...

now, on monday night, this happened, I called the RAC and I had to wait about 45 minutes, I kept trying, and by the time the guy came (who was a bit af a jack the lad...), it still wasn't working, he looked under the bonnet and was stumped, then it worked...I could tell he was relieved - but he then blamed me by saying that I had left ther alarm on!! I asked him to replicate the problem which he was unable to do, but it started again fine anyway...

anway, last night, the same thing happened - it was dead, I rang ther RAC again around 4:20, they said that I'd have to weait about 90 minutes...I did, and still it wouldn't work...at 6:05 - one of my colleagues came out, he helped by turning the key, nothing happened, then within a minute, he was able to turn the key, and within another 2 minutes the car started (and after that it was fine!) - and you've guessed it...the RAC guy turned up too (luckily it was a different guy) and he seemed to think that there maybe a problem with the barrel or key - wear and tear...the key looks ok (I've even brought in my spare today)...he put some wd40 in the barrel and it does feel smoother today...but I'm kinda not looking forward to starting it again tonight!!

anyone got any ideas on what it could be..?

my initial thoughts could be that its the ignition system...but I'm no expert...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2004
    mr cat, Aug 5, 2004
  2. mr cat

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Could it be the steering lock? Try waggling the steering wheel when trying to turn the key.

I-S, Aug 5, 2004
  3. mr cat

Mr Perceptive

If the key won't turn you probably have a barrel/key issue. Some suggestions
    1) Replace the key assembly, usually not that big a job, as its only a simple switch with some wires (disconnect battery first). You can probably get a suitable replacement barrel/key from a breakers yard. You will have a different key for the ignition than the doors.

2) Its quite an old car, so you could just wire out the ignition key and put a couple of switches in! On for ignition and a push button to start!! You could always hide these switches somewhere in the dash (or even out of site) if you're concerned about it being nicked.

Going to garage for this sort of thing may prove expensive. It may be better to chop the car in for another low cost hack.

Don't snap the key off in the lock!

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Aug 5, 2004
  4. mr cat

thespirit3

Definately sounds like a physical problem with the barrel. An electrical/ignition problem wouldn't physically stop you turning the key. If the key jams, then it's most likely either barrel or steering lock. If it turns, and then the engine starts 2 minutes later, there could also be dodgey contacts in the key mechanism.

That would be my first suspicions - but ... I guess it could also be the ECU if you have one... but again, AFAIK that shoudn't stop you physically turning the key...

Good luck!

Steve

thespirit3, Aug 5, 2004
  5. mr cat

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Do you turn the wheel to engage the steering lock before you leave the car? If you do, then it will apply pressure to the steering lock making it difficult to turn the key. You have to turn the wheel slightly to take the pressure of the lock so that you can then turn the key.

technobear, Aug 5, 2004
  6. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

thasnks technobear - I hadn't thought of that..will bear that in mind...

anyway, had no problems last night...!

mr cat, Aug 6, 2004
Ask a Question