Another Turntable Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by clintonf, Nov 10, 2004.

1. clintonf

clintonf

Hi People, i've been watching the recent threads about Turntables (very interesting and helpful).

I was wondering whether it would be safe for a complete novice such as me to fit their own cartridge?

The cartridge is a replacement for the one that was broken last week and I CANNOT afford to replace this one, if I break it.

If not, can anyone recommend in the West Midlands that could fit the cartridge to the turntable?

I am eager to get my music back, so I would greatly appreciate any advice that you could offer?

Thanks

Clint

clintonf, Nov 10, 2004
  2. clintonf

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have fitted a cartridge on my old second hand turntable however I would never attempt this on my Project Debut because the cables are very thin and it they seem very easily to snap.

I guess it depends how good you are with your hands.

amazingtrade, Nov 10, 2004
  3. clintonf

clintonf

Thanks for that. How are you? I hope you're well?

I am quite clumsy so i'll look for a dealer. However, in the West Midlands they appear to be far and few between.

Take care.

Clint

clintonf, Nov 10, 2004
  4. clintonf

Sid and Coke

Hi Clintonf,

Nobody was born with the knowledge of how to fit a phono cartridge and so in that respect everybody who is an 'expert' now was a novice at some time.
    There is an absolute mountain of advice available to assist you on the www too. Obviously places such as ZG, PFM & HFC discusssion forums instantly spring to mind, but others such as Vinyl asylum and Turntablebasics.com are worth a read too. Once you have done it once (successfully ;) ), you will wonder what all the fuss is about !
    There is a guy who posts and trades over on PFM called Mick Seymour, he sells all of the necessary equipment that will enable to fit your own cartridge.
    The main reason that I've mentioned Mick S is because he also supplies step by step instructions to assist you that have both text and full colour piccies, he's also a top bloke.
    Here's a link:
    http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5594

Sid and Coke, Nov 11, 2004
  5. clintonf

clintonf

Hi S&C. Thanks for that.

So you think that I should have a go at it? I've spent a lot of money on the cartridge and i'm very worried that I might not set it up properly.

I will probably have to have a serious look at it because I want to get the TT set up asap :D as I miss my music.

I'll let you know how I feel when the cartridge arrives.

Thanks again

Clint

clintonf, Nov 11, 2004
  6. clintonf

adam

Clint,If I can do it,you can do it believe me,just take your time,keep the guard on the stylus while your fitting,screws can be fiddly,and cartridge tabs a bit thin and fiddly,but I've done all mine,it's not hard really.

adam, Nov 11, 2004
  7. clintonf

Mr.C

Very easy - needle nose pliers, delicate touch, and if you've got respect for what you're doing it isn't as hard as it's made out to be. I'm an incompetent when it comes to my hands, but I fitted my cart without any problems - don't rush it and you'll be fine, and you'll also get the confidence to do it again, should you need to.

Mr.C, Nov 11, 2004
  8. clintonf

clintonf

Thanks everyone. I guess that it psychological. I've found a dealer to do it for me. I'm quite annoyed with myself that i've bottled out, but I guess having "lost" a stylus and hearing the story of my brother who killed his cartridge when fitting it, in addition, speaking to an experienced dealer who killed his cartridge this very morning. So i'm going to run scared, this time.

However, i've ordered a gauge and will try and "watch" the dealer to see what they do. Hopefully, if I see someone do it, i'll realise just how simple it is and will be able to have a go next time.

Just as an update. If things go well in the next couple of weeks I may be changing my TT (p/x my RPM 9) to the Michell Gyrodec SE so i'll have an opportunity to change the cartridge then.

So i'll let you kind people get on with giving advice to other, more deserving people.

Thanks very much guys.

Clint

clintonf, Nov 11, 2004
  9. clintonf

clintonf

Just to let you know that I had my cartridge fitted by some very nice men!! They are Midland Audio Exchange and are based in Worcestershire.

They are very professional and have a LOT of very expensive and esoteric stuff (very similar to AudioFreaks). I had a listen to an Acuphase CD, Krell Amp and Avalon Speakers as well as 47 Lab stuff.

I was impressed.

Thanks again all

Clint

clintonf, Nov 12, 2004
Ask a Question