Anthony Gallo Ref 3 and Ref3a Veena - Anyone out there with practical experience?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Hey chaps,

Long time no see - first post in months! Been busy with other pursuits (umm, women, mostly) and have therefore had to channel my free cash flow away from my beloved hi-fi for a bit. In case any of you have forgotten, there is a more ruinously expensive, time consuming and soul-destroying activity apart from hi-fi; it's called "dating". Still, nice to end 2007 with lots of chalk on the board :D

Anyway, I'm thinking of chopping in my Amphions for something slightly less obtrusive; They're simply too big for my tiny lounge.

I absolutely adore these things because they're the most responsive and seamlessly integrated speakers I've ever owned. They thrive on valve amps, deliver serious dynamic WHOOMPH and have the cohesion of an SDL. You really can't hear any delineation between the three drive units.

Anyway, I want to keep as much of the bass as possible and am wary of "downgrading" back to standmounts. I'm sure there are some very bass-capable designs with WAF friendly dimensions (thinking SF, WB & AE), but it's really a last resort. If only because of the power they usually require to get decent bass out of them.

The main loudspeakers on my shortlist are the Anthony Gallo Reference 3 speakers. (confusingly) Reference 3a also make some interesting small speakers called the "Veena". Does anyone have any experience with these two transducers? I'd be very grateful for any comments. Particularly interested in the relative "brightness" of the sound, ease of drive and driver integration.

Rgds,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jan 2, 2008
  2. Dynamic Turtle

mikedefacto

if you want a really crap price for them amphions send me a pm :D

mikedefacto, Jan 2, 2008
  3. Dynamic Turtle

hifi addict

Hello DT,

I know the veena quite well but not the Anthony Gallo's.

I don't think you are too far from me. I let you have a listen for yourself.

hifi addict, Jan 2, 2008
Ask a Question