Any experience with Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD Player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Garmt, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Garmt

The Devil IHTFP

I've heard the Densen, and was not at all impressed by it.

The Devil, Aug 18, 2005
  2. Garmt

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

ring-a-ring-of-roses

bottleneck, Aug 18, 2005
  3. Garmt

penance Arrogant Cock

pocket full of possies?

penance, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Garmt

Markus S Trade

One of these days, WM, I'll have to listen to one of your systems. Some of your comments really have me scratching my head, others I can follow. It would be interesting to understand what sort of sound you're striving for.

Markus S, Aug 18, 2005
  5. Garmt

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'd reccomend it Markus.

WM's system sounds different to any I've ever heard... although its a constantly changing goalpost!

I've found with all the ZG members Ive visited, once you've discovered the sound they like, it helps to understand what their goal is in hifi.

WM's system isnt what I'd like full time (allthough its impressive) Horses-courses and all that. If I had all the resources in the world though, I'd pay WM (as Coherent) to re-wire my system. That is praise indeed from a cable non-believer! IMO Coherent have taken on the big boys and come out on top. Something to be proud of that.

bottleneck, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Garmt

leo

I've also never been too impressed with many commercial cdps, probably one of the best was the Marantz CD7 (IMO)

leo, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Garmt

jonjin

Interesting posts considering that I have been using my Opus 21 for more than 6 months now. Good to know there are other options out there that might better the Opus even at lower prices. ;)

To me this is a very musical CDP. For example, playing Athlete's Tourist record, you just hear the songs and the music as oppose to say a Naim where you hear the detail of the instruments in a very defined way. It's like whiskey and vodka. One is very strong and sharp, the other is more mellow and refined. (The more I think about it, the more I realise that my tastes are actually almost diametrically opposite to WM's) :)

One problem with the Opus though is it's long warm up time. It only achieves it's optimum performance after about 2 hours though there is a standby option you could use instead of completely switching it off.

Edited to add:
    Oh yeah, and when compared to the MF Trivista, the MF sounded dry as sand.

JJ

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2005
    jonjin, Aug 18, 2005
  8. Garmt

The Devil IHTFP

Athlete are shit, not music. Jeez.

The Devil, Aug 18, 2005
  9. Garmt

merlin

Maybe so on a CDS2.

merlin, Aug 19, 2005
  10. Garmt

jtc

I run an Opus21 and am very happy with it. Agree with the 'more detail than CDS2/XPS' thing - I did the comparison in my own home and found the CDS2 overrated. CDS3/XPS2 is a bit better than the Opus in my opinion. Haven't heard some of the other players mentioned in this thread, but also demmed a Wadia 301 (awful!), two Moon Eclipses (HD and non HD models - more detailed than Opus21 but musically a bit bewildered!) and a couple of others I forget.

If you run with the fixed-level DIN output you get a slightly more transparent and detailed sound than with the phono outputs (but losing the remote volume control ability).

Price-wise, I reckon it could be a bit cheaper (as can all hifi > £1000 IMHO) and there were early build-issues (including my unit, which had a transport replacement). Nowadays I suspect that's all sorted. Sonically great (I believe anyone who claims that their machine is miles better is significantly exaggerating the differences, as at this level the limitation is almost always the cd itself). Doesn't let the hifi get in the way of the music, which is how it should be. This

If I were buying again I'd go hear the Densen mentioned as it is apparently quite good, though I wouldn't expect it to better the Opus21, but as a single box with a smart design it's a compelling alternative. The Naim CDS3/XPS2 is a nice player, a tad in front of the Opus21 but with a ridiculous pricetag. If their pre-power is anything to go by, I think it would be worth checking out the very reasonably priced Eastern Electric MiniMax cd player.

John

jtc, Aug 19, 2005
  11. Garmt

zchawk15

I thought I would chime in on the Opus 21. I have compared it against most of the Naim players and it is much better than the Naim CDX2 or any of the Naim players until you get to the CDS3. At that point there are trade offs but the Opus is always smooth, musical and with great PRAT. I agree with an earlier post that the CDS2 is not as good. The CDX2 is too aggressive and forced sounding and not even close IMHO.

zchawk15, Aug 19, 2007
  12. Garmt

tuga

You have a nice transport.

Why not try the forty seven shig DAC and later get the transport?
    Not for the detail freak but, if you like music, it's vivid and rich sound is as engaging as a vey good turntable.

What more could one wish for if one's goal is to enjoy the music? :D

tuga, Aug 19, 2007
  13. Garmt

JCL

I think you'd have to be nuts to blow that kind of cash on a CDP when the server/DAC option offers more convenience and potentially higer performance.

JCL, Aug 20, 2007
  14. Garmt

Robbo

why would it offer higher performance? Because a few people on the net with vested interests have said so?

A well designed CP player like the Opus21 still beats the server/DAC approach in terms of outright sound quality IMO.

Robbo, Aug 20, 2007
  15. Garmt

Ant

If you have music recorded at higher than 16bit resolution it would.

Ant, Aug 20, 2007
  16. Garmt

JCL

Less error correction (jitter) off a HD V's a CD ?

JCL, Aug 20, 2007
  17. Garmt

anubisgrau

it would be interesting to know upon listening what server/DAC combo you came to such a conclusion

a few sessions i had recently such as mac/itunes into altmann DAC or PC/vista/XXhighend into twinDAC+ (both battery operated) left the CD repro in dust, IMHO.

we are facing a real revolution in audio, it just depends how ready we are to accept that. controlling things from the laptop is IMHO even less "involving" than CDs, let alone vinyl, but it sounds bloody good. someone said - 2" studio reel-to-reel sound quality is now closer than ever, not sure about it and honestly not interested to fiddle with comparing, but the latest PC audio developments are way way forward in digital.

i'd be worried if i invested sh**load of money into a CDP and still not perfectly happy with the sound (just as it seems that most of the owners are not).

anubisgrau, Aug 20, 2007
  18. Garmt

Robbo

Mac based server into a Marantz CD7 (through the players digital inputs) and Squeezebox v DPA CD transport into Audio Synthesis Dax Decade for starters.

The CD source was significantly better in both cases.

If anyone wants to bring a hard drive server and plug it into the digital inputs of my Simaudio Moon eclipse and do a comparison, then let's do it.

Robbo, Aug 20, 2007
  19. Garmt

Stereo Mic

If anything a Server/dac combo is liekely to have more errors and jitter than a dedicated CD player - the interface and enviroments are all wrong from what I can see. As for high resolution files - great idea. Where do I get them from?

Stereo Mic, Aug 20, 2007
  20. Garmt

kmac

Interesting question posed here CDP vs server/DAc combo as I am considering investing in a good CDp e.g. Mcintosh MCD201.

I'm thinking one way you could "future proof" is to get a good CDP with digital inputs so you could use it as a DAC in the event that you wanted to use a "server"

Going for a CPD as most of my music is in that format and I don't want to listen to compressed files - even lossless formats are not the same resolution as CDs

So, anyone know a good CDP with has digital Inputs so it could also be used as a DAc?

kmac, Aug 20, 2007
Ask a Question