Any good watering wholes in Brighton?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jun 14, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am going t Brighton and for a few nights and staying in a nice swanky hotel (I can't afford it but staying in a posh hotel is always apart of the experience).

Some people have told me that Brighton has a good alternative scene, others say its just a southern version of Blackpool with chavs ready to beat you up. Being from Manchester and never witnessing any problems with drunken chavs I thnk this will depend on where you go, with Manchester I know where to avoid so I don't see the trouble, but with Brighton I don't want to end up in the roughest part of city.

I was told West Sreet is to be avoided on a saturday night, which I intend to do, but I assume there are other good places to go on the saturday?

As we were in London anyway it seemed like a good idea, Wales was probably a bit boring and Blackpool is just a tacky chav central place, I just hope Brighton's not the same :(

I don't mind a few harmless chavs, but I just want to avoid the whole drink 10 cheap vokda and redbulls knock a student out and shag a granny scene.

amazingtrade, Jun 14, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

depends which way you swing ;)

penance, Jun 14, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

It dosn't bother me really, I have been to Canal Street a few times in Manchester, its just like going into any other bar but witha few more gay people there.

Though I would prefer straight clubs for obvious reasons :) Just not chavvy straight ones.

I would rather be with a of gays (who are harmless, its not like they will come onto me) than a bunch of 17 year old can't handle my drink I am from Lambeth Nova boys. (no offense to anybody who drives a Nova and lives in Lambeth who will be in Brighton :p)

I just don't know how much of West Street is media hype.

4. amazingtrade

A0S

This might help http://www.brighton.co.uk/

I like Brighton but I'm not terribly familier with the clubs. There are some good pubs though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2005
    A0S, Jun 14, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Thanks, well we don't need to be clubbing everynight, but we don't want to have to go to bed at 11:00 everynight becuase the pubs are shut either, there is a bar in the hotel but its a rather large 4 star chain so its going to be expensive and drinking in hotel bars isn't reallly much fun.

6. amazingtrade

robert_cyrus

drinking establishments aside, definitely visit here:
    Wax Factor
    Trafaglar Street
    tel: 012 7367 3744

look for Nia cafe on the corner, it's just up the hill on the other side from Nia.

robert_cyrus, Jun 15, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

Philip King Enlightened User

OK, pubs, The Great Eastern, just down the road, (Trafalgar Street) from the main station, excellent real ale, nice local feel, also has a Wax Factor across the road.

The Jazz Rooms in Ship Street is a great club playing Jazz, swing, salsa,

The Casablanca, East Street, brilliant live band playing Jazz, swing salsa music downstairs and a live DJ upstairs, not a club that spends money on the interior but well worth a visit.

The beach club, the best of the large commercial music type places, great location on the seafront.

Avoid anything and everything in West Street, you have the normal proliferation of bars and clubs for thugs, and a couple of cool places where you have to wait in line all night to be over charged, (Greens)

I think Buddys is now the place to go for a fry up after clubbing, it on the main seafront road between the piers.

Check out the north laines during the day, good shopping for all things alternative

This information is 2 years old as I have moved away, if anything has changed then can a local let me know ;-)

Philip King, Jun 15, 2005
Ask a Question