Any older computer users here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jan 6, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

For one of my university projects I have to design a touch screen system for the over 65s to use. There are many issues involved in designing a system for a generation who where bought up when the word computer meant a 22 story building that could store 1MB of data or somthing.

I am particualy(sp) interested in asking a few questions to any the older generation who have only in the last 5 years got into comptuing (i.e those who did not get into gradualy).

I know this is a long shot as most people here seem to be in the 20-60 age range and most of that generation don't seem to have a problem with computers. I know a 75 year old man who builds PCs for living but thats an thats quite rare, this was a good ten years ago too so he will be well into his 80's now if he is still living.

Thanks for any help.

amazingtrade, Jan 6, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

ChrisD

my grandad bought a computer a couple of years ago, but never really got the hang of it.

This may not be of any use to you but ill mention some of the things he had problems with just in case it helps in any way.

He found it difficult to click on small objects, he would move the mouse to where he wanted it, then he would have to take his hands off the mouse, look at it, then press the button. When he did this he quite often moved the mouse when he tried to press the button.

He really couldnt get the hang of double clicking, i dont know why but he just physically couldnt do it. He also couldnt understand why sometimes you had to single click and sometimes double click.

His main problem was that he was scared of making mistakes. He seemed to think if he clicked on the wrong thing his house would blow up or something.

If i think of anything else ill let you know.

ChrisD, Jan 6, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Thanks, thats very helpful, thats exactly the same problem my grandmother had (she is now 84) when I built her a PC several years ago. She didn't really ever use it because of that.

amazingtrade, Jan 6, 2005
Ask a Question