Anyone content with their system?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ultrasonic, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I havent upgraded for a few months now, not even thought about it! I can honestly say i am content with all my gear and the past few months ive just been buying lots of cd's and dvd's instead of saving up for the next upgrade. Had spare cash to splash out on a sleek lil u2 ipod2. Anyone in the same position?

Ultra :)

Ultrasonic, Dec 29, 2004
  2. Ultrasonic

Mr.C

Finally now, yes. Just got a pair of custom TL speakers which essentially finishes off my hifi for the rest of my life - considering I'm only 27 I've been quite lucky I suppose. Only thing I'll be buying from now on is LPs and, when they go, valves...and maybe the odd cartridge.

Mr.C, Dec 29, 2004
  3. Ultrasonic

wolfgang

Nope true upgraditis is not a curable disease. However, the anecdote seems to be going to concerts/cinemas and enjoy music and movies for what they are rather then listening to the sound of the toys. Blind listening sessions have also provide a great incentive to hold on to the contain of my wallet a bit longer then one would before.

wolfgang, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Ultrasonic

Dev Moderator

NEVER!, it's against human nature, it's a desease, it's oneupmanship, it's ... well you get the idea.

But seriously, I am. I won't be upgrading unless something breaks. After listening to some seriously expensive systems and realising the actual differences between them, it just doesn't seen to be worth it. I don't think I can gain much without going really crazy. If I win the lottery however (unlikely, as the lady on TV says, your chances improve if you actually buy a ticket), I will treat myself to a pair of 15" Tannoys, or TD12s at least:D.

Dev, Dec 29, 2004
  5. Ultrasonic

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Dev,

TD12's great for studio, home I'd stick with yout D700's mate all the fruit and fun INTACT not removed

wadia-miester, Dec 29, 2004
  6. Ultrasonic

Saab

nope,would like to have at least another 10k,but i haven't,so i make do

Saab, Dec 29, 2004
  7. Ultrasonic

Dev Moderator

Cheers Tony, praise from the big man himself! I'd still like to try the bigger Tannoys though. I think the best ones are the 15"DCs. For the looks, the TD12 win hands down.IMO:D.

Dev, Dec 29, 2004
  8. Ultrasonic

HenryT

About another £10k would do nicely here as well. That'd finish things off for life for me I reckon too! Having heard systems which cost as much as a house, nothing has yet inspired me to aspire to those kind of dizzy heights.

HenryT, Dec 29, 2004
  9. Ultrasonic

michaelab desafinado

Pretty content with the digital and amp side of things. Now getting into vinyl which will be a whole new line of expenditure :D . Pretty happy with my speakers but looking to upgrade them long term but in no hurry.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 29, 2004
  10. Ultrasonic

PumaMan

Yep, very satisfied. I only bought a new CD player (a 507 to replace my my 506) cos after ten years I wanted a new player to keep gonig for another 10 years with my 551 amp. I didnt audition it because I knew it would be fine. The other major factor with meridian gear is that it appears to be pretty much immune to tweaking so once you've bought it, thats it, just plug it in and use it. I shan't want new kit till around 2013.

Very satisfying.

PumaMan, Dec 29, 2004
  11. Ultrasonic

MikeD Militant Nutter

I'd say yes...

But I've just bought a new amp :) Will see if it's an improvement when it arrives tomorrow.

MikeD, Dec 29, 2004
  12. Ultrasonic

Dev Moderator

Some odd responses here. Some of you are content but you've just bought some kit or are venturing into vinyl:).

Dev, Dec 29, 2004
  13. Ultrasonic

julian2002 Muper Soderator

a bit of finishing on the details (amp / psu service, better crossovers, bigger hard drives and speaker aesthetics) and i'll be done but if i had to stop the journey tomorrow i'd be content. doesn;t stop me travelling though - if you see what i mean.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 29, 2004
  14. Ultrasonic

michaelab desafinado

Dev - I don't think that venturing into vinyl necessarily means you're unhappy with your system. It's a whole different thing. I'm not getting into vinyl because I'm not happy with my CD setup, but because I want to get into vinyl (the music that is).

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 29, 2004
  15. Ultrasonic

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Guess what Wm is pretty happy currently, my music expenditure has reached interesting levels over 140 new cd's in the last 6 weeks.

wadia-miester, Dec 29, 2004
  16. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

With some cd's its not merely listening to music but being taken on a psychadelic aural ride! :JPS: my system blows my student buddies micro's to weeds and im savin money on cinema dates coz i just bring em home hehe it sounds better :cool: very content

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Dec 29, 2004
  17. Ultrasonic

Dev Moderator

Do you mean getting hold of music not available on CD or do you like the "analogue" sound of vinyl better.

BTW, it looks like you had fun demo'ing the Rega, will you look at other makes as well or have you (as seems from your posts) already made up your mind?

Dev, Dec 29, 2004
  18. Ultrasonic

Paul Ranson

I bought my turntable in 1988, CDP 1995, preamp 1991, power amp 1990, speakers I've only had for 18 months, but they were built in the 80s....

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 29, 2004
  19. Ultrasonic

Chris Jennings

Not happy with my home system, but would need to spend about £11k for a system i would like. System is old and cheap, amp and speaker 17 years, cd broke so using cheap DVD player for TV and audio.

I'm spoiled at work so just have to save the pennies until something brakes and i have an excuse to start the upgrade.

Thats life, having kids is a real stretch on the wallet, but the kids are far more important than the hifi.

Chris

Chris Jennings, Dec 29, 2004
  20. Ultrasonic

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I may sound a bit like Paul here but I am very happy with my headphone set up which is what I use most of the time, but my speakers and stands are really letting the other side down. I paid £70 for my speakers two years ago so they are never going to be that great.

I know I need to spend around £200 and about £50 on some stands to make a decent improvement, but then my amp may need upgrading so its a constant vicious circle. What my system really needs is a very good sound quality at lower volumes, maybe a bit of warmth with a bit of fast bass.

At the moment using the speakers my system only comes alive at high volumes but living in a terrace house and having the smallest room obviously causes problems.

For this reason I have decided to keep what I have got and spend money on education myself instead (i.e traveling across Europe this summer before I get a job). When I am working I will spend around £2k on a HIFI system and just not have a car.

£2k may sound excessive for a HIFI system for anybody earning under £20k but many people on that kind of wage think nothing of spending £10k a on a car.

amazingtrade, Dec 29, 2004
Ask a Question