anyone else shoot?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bottleneck, Jul 27, 2004.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Just about to begin a season of shooting rabbits and pidgeons on a friendly farmers farm.

Wondered if anybody else shoots?

:)

bang bang
    Chris

bottleneck, Jul 27, 2004
  2. bottleneck

Saab

I've been ferreting,awful experience.

Saab, Jul 27, 2004
  3. bottleneck

what, you shoot ferrets?! ;)

bottleneck, Jul 27, 2004
  4. bottleneck

target aquired at six o'clock......

Attached Files:

bottleneck, Jul 27, 2004
  5. bottleneck

mick parry stroppy old git

Yes

I get regular invites to pheasant shoots during the autumn. It is jolly good fun but I don't think the pheasants are too keen.

I have over a dozen birds in the freezer.

I hope you use Ely cartridges.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jul 27, 2004
  6. bottleneck

Hi Mick

I mainly use high powered air rifles with scopes, and blat the blighters in the head.

A friend is taking me shooting with shotguns which should be fun though! kaboom

I shall ask him about Ely cartridges.

PS
    do you know how to pluck/prepare the critters by the way? I used to get someone to do that messy side of things for me, but no longer have the luxury :S

bottleneck, Jul 27, 2004
  7. bottleneck

mick parry stroppy old git

Bottleneck

Please use a shotgun.....you kill them quickly. Ely is the "green" cartridge so is good for the environment.

My mother in law is the pheasant plucker.........it is a revolting job ....just like her.

BTW if you do buy a shotgun, go for an English one, they cost more but keep going up in value whilst the foreign stuff goes the other way.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jul 27, 2004
  8. bottleneck

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i used to have a mate who made a mean rabbit curry from rabbits he'd shot in the fields round his house and anything that reduces pigeon population is a good thing in my book.
    i fired a few guns when i was in the states - a desert eagle .50, a .22 magnum revolver, a 357 (?) and some sort of combat rifle with the longest bullets / cartridges i've ever seen, the thing had a bloody great spring in the stock that went boiiiiing everytime you fired it to lessen recoil! mainly shot metal targets but we took some 5 gallon milk jugs filled with water - seeing as the human body is 90% water i definately wouldn;t want to get shot, the things just exploded!
    there were a couple of guys next to us who had some old black powder muskets, took them about 10 minutes of faffing about to load their guns then there was an allmighty explosion and a cloud of foul smelling smoke as they fired the evil things. i don't think either of them actually hit a target all day but they seemed to be having fun.
    another gun related tale was the time my old boss in the states left his birthday / 4th july fireworks out in the rain by accident. they wouldn;t light after that so he distributed his cache of fully automatic weapons (uzi's mainly.) to a few trusted (and very pissed) mates who fired about 3000 rounds into the air in the austin hills. meanwhile the rest of his guests cowered under the balcony they were using as their machine gun nest. glad i missed that one really.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 28, 2004
  9. bottleneck

MikeD Militant Nutter

i mostly shoot people... ;)

airsoft is great fun :)

MikeD, Jul 28, 2004
  10. bottleneck

GrahamN

No doubt you have all heard this cautionary tale. Charlotte Green did a wonderful job of keeping a straight face while reading the article on BBC news.

GrahamN, Jul 28, 2004
  11. bottleneck

Getting shot in the head with a pellet has a similar effect! :D

Must admit Im not looking forward to the skinning/plucking bit... I suppose its worth it for the pie eating bit which follows!

Graham - I shall endeavour to keep loaded firearms out of my pants :)

bottleneck, Jul 28, 2004
  12. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

I used to shoot rabbits when I was younger (15-16). Me and a mate from school used to spend weekends at a trout farm in Norfolk with a lot of land where we used to roam around with a .22 rifle (a "proper" rifle, not an air gun ;) ) with a scope. I thought it was great fun at the time and yes Chris, if you hit them in the head it's an instant kill. However, if you miss the head they usually run down their burrow and then slowly bleed to death :( . On a number of occasions we had to apply a "coup de grace" to an injured rabbit by breaking it's neck. These days I don't think I could do it though, especially if it was just for kicks. I'm not really sure it was entirely legal for the farm owner to let two 15yr olds roam around the land with a high powered rifle either! :eek:

Wouldn't mind giving clay pidgeon shooting a go one of these days.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 28, 2004
  13. bottleneck

mr cat Member of the month

I couldn't shoot an animal...only my load...!

mr cat, Jul 28, 2004
  14. bottleneck

Ive shot .22 calibre rifles too Mike. Great fun, but a little overkill for a rabbit?!

Air rifles are great. If you get one just under 12 foot pounds you dont need a firearms certificate and can shoot almost anywhere you have permission.

Im not really with you on the missing the head and watching the animal suffer thing, Im a good shot and I hit them in the head. :)

Chris

bottleneck, Jul 28, 2004
  15. bottleneck

auric FOSS

the modern day Jack Hargreaves or Fred J.Taylor

A close friend of mine is a real country person, he shoots, hunts and fishes, he is lucky enough to (with friends) be invited to shoot vermin on the lords land using shotguns he also loads and beats throughout the season whenever he gets the chance. Once or twice a year he gets a chance to go stalking for deer or is invited to do a bit of wild fowling (even has his own decoys). He also teaches shooting and fishing to various cooperate types during team building days in the country or assists with “country skills†courses at both the local prep schools. At home he has a rather good gun dog that he enters and gets a few prizes from county shows and several sets of nets for rabbiting (still does not have his own ferret but is working on that. Many a time I have joined him for a day fishing and in the evening we have dined on trout and a well hung game bird. He is all for the strictest of gun control with castration for the first offense no matter what the excuse the RichardHead gives to the police.

He always wanted to be the modern day Jack Hargreaves or Fred J.Taylor.

Auric

PS
    Both he and I do a lot of trout fishing on the little local rivers and some of the bigger places like Clatworthy, Chew and Blagdon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2004
    auric, Jul 28, 2004
Ask a Question