anyone had experience of counterpoint preamp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaels, Aug 29, 2004.

1. michaels

michaels

hi all had on loan a counterpoint sa 3.1 valve preamp which as far as i can gather were handbuilt in california and was possibly cica 1990 or thereabouts,

had this linked to parasound power quite a nice sound , but dealer had a customer who was desperate to purchase this and have it shipped back to the usa for refurbe so returned pre to dealer, just wondered if anyone had heard this or simular pre as i could find no reviews on this particular pre nor find its original cost.

thank you

michaels, Aug 29, 2004
  2. michaels

Dick Bowman

Counterpoint was, I believe, highly rated sonically. I think thay also had something of a reputation for unreliability. They went under during the great Far East economic collapse. I understand that the owner/designer can be found doing updates/repairs/mods if you look in the classified ads in Stereophile, but shipping the item may prove uneconomic.

Dick Bowman, Aug 31, 2004
  3. michaels

jayceem

I once had a 3000 pre. which I imported direct from USA. Cost me around £1300 (against £2500 from memory). Very high sound quality spoilt by loud bangs thro phono stage!! I think static/rfi caused this. However, till recent purchase, I still thought best pre I ever had including ARC LS25II. Owner/designer, I think one Michael Elliot. He does maintenance/upgrade work to Counterpoint units but is pricey.

jayceem, Aug 31, 2004
Ask a Question