Anyone hear the new PMC GB1 at the Bristol show?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by yogus, Feb 24, 2004.

1. yogus

yogus

Anyone hear them? THoughts?? Especially the use of the OB1 tweeter and how it would compare to the FB1.

Looked intriguing, but b/c I'm in Oz, I can't hear them.

More wife-friendly than FB1s.

yogus, Feb 24, 2004
  2. yogus

hal9001

The PMC guy told me that they are going to offer a tweeter and crossover upgrade for the FB1 which can be performed by a dealer. He didn't know what the cost was likely to be but I guess it needs to be competitive when compared with an upgrade to the OB1. New FB1's should also have the OB1 tweeter as standard.

Told me to keep my eyes peeled for an announcement on the website.

hal9001, Feb 24, 2004
  3. yogus

juboy

I heard the GB1s at the Bristol Show and was very impressed. Not sure there's much out there at £995 a pair, new, to touch them at the moment if you need compact floorstanders.

The bass response is highly impressive for what is essentially a small speaker.

The OB1s also impressed me more than anything else on the day, when price is taken into consideration.

juboy, Feb 24, 2004
  4. yogus

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I prefer the meadowlarks that I have, but the GB1 did impress reasonably... it's not as quick or punchy as the meadowlark, but smoother, and deep for its size. It is rather more compact than the meadowlark... livable with for sure.

I-S, Feb 24, 2004
  5. yogus

yogus

Isaac

What's the RRP for Meadowlark gear in the UK? esp. the Kestrel 2. Can't seem to find it on the web.

I can't audition them in my town, and the distributor is offering me 25% off to buy them blind :) (which ends up about 1250GBP).

Just trying to get a feel of comparative prices and whether its worth a trip to Melbourne.

yogus, Feb 24, 2004
  6. yogus

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

It is hard to find... usually convert US price in $ to £ direct 1:1 gets you there.

I got my Kestrel Hotrods for £530 inc delivery, and they were RRP £1499, so it was a bit of a bargain. They're punchier and more dynamic than the PMCs.

As far as I know, the swifts are around £900 or £1k RRP, and the kestrel 2s are £1600+. At £1250, I'd not hesitate on the kestrel 2s, but I'm thouroughly sold on the meadowlark sound.

A trip to melbourne is always worthwhile (I just like melbourne, but hey ;) )

I-S, Feb 24, 2004
Ask a Question