anyone heard Reference 3a speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Rory, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Rory

Rory satisfied

And in particular, their Royal Virtuoso standmount? Just wondering...

Rory, Apr 12, 2005
  2. Rory

ListeningEar

I heard these about a year or so back when visiting a dealer in Denmark (which is no longer trading). Very nice unassuming looking little monitor, clean lines and pleasing sound from what I remember.
    However, at the time the dealer much preferred the Von Schweikert VR-1 monitor that I had taken in ;)
    Probably worth a listen though if you can find a dealer. The manufacturers web site is full of all the info. you probably need; specs., and reviews.
    www.reference3a.com

ListeningEar, Apr 12, 2005
  3. Rory

badchamp Thermionic Member

I had a listen to a pair of Reference 3a Da Capo a while back whilst looking for a replacement for my AP Sparks. I thought they were a little large for my purposes (but my new room is a bit spacially challenged !) but they did sound very good. I could cetainly have lived with them. Since then Ref 3a have brought out a new more mini mnitor called the Dulcet. I ended up with the VR-1 which suited my room better (and are cheaper) .I'd say the ref 3a are worth a listen

badchamp, Apr 12, 2005
  4. Rory

Rory satisfied

interesting...the Von Schweikert VR-1 seems to be a common speaker around here. I value midrange most, and i hate tweeters that accentuate sibilance. Would you say the VR-1s correspond with that?

Thanks

The Ref 3a i had seen is apparently one of the best standmounts but I am sceptical about buying a product that isn't known over here because of resale values etc. Maybe not the right way to do things but definetly practical

Rory, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Rory

badchamp Thermionic Member

Rory,

Wouldn't say the VR-1 is a particularly common speaker, just that it seems to have occured in both replies so far :D. AFAIK there are only 3 VR-1 on the forum (Saab, Listening Ear and me). Von Schweikert (again AFAIK) doesn't have a presence at the moment in the UK and the VR-1 are a bit hard to demo. They suited my purpose because they are good close to a wall and have a pretty even sound off axis - they sound just as good no matter where in the room you are - and in my listening room, there's not a lot of space in the "sweet spot" !

Sound wise, I find them very smooth at the top with no sibilance and a great midrange. They also have a "big" sound for the size of the speaker and as much as I loved my old Sparks (2 way floorstander) I must say that now I don't miss them at all.

I'm very happy with them but if I had a larger room, the REf 3A Da Capos would probably also have been a contender. The Dulcets came out too late for me.

Jeff

badchamp, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Rory

ListeningEar

The only official outlet for Von Schweikert in the UK now is run by Simon Phipps. His company is called Audioplay and he can be contacted on: 07966 101971.
    Simon became the UK rep. after I closed down the distribution business and I know he has models on dem.

ListeningEar, Apr 13, 2005
  7. Rory

Saab

I have never posted a review of my VR-1s,being upto my neck doing a house up,but i will eventually

needless to say they are fantastic for my odd shaped listening position and near wall position,2 things I needed

and they sound fantastic as well:)

Saab, Apr 22, 2005
  8. Rory

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Rory

Have you heard Proac 1sc?

I think if you are looking for a full sounding small speaker without any treble nasties this would fit the bill.

They look fantastic too.

bottleneck, Apr 23, 2005
  9. Rory

Rory satisfied

Chris

Have a feeling that the Proacs wouldn't be much of an upgrade over my old JM Labs...

On a totally new slant, any experience, anyone, with Zingali horn speakers?

Rory, Apr 23, 2005
  10. Rory

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

dunno rory, they are my favorite ever standmount..

Robbo uses a pair on the end of a 2.5k audio research amp with a Sim Moon CDP!

you're right though, I cant predict what anybody else might like.

bottleneck, Apr 23, 2005
  11. Rory

ListeningEar

One of my favourite Pro-Ac speakers was the old Studio Towers, not to mention the Tablette. Not a fan of any of their current models though, very disappointing.
    What has not helped, at each show I'v been to the Pro-Ac boys seem to be running the demo units at ridiculous levels, I just could not believe that they were doing this with so much distortion present! The people I have attended with and myself have always come away with the thought that they must have 'cloth-ears'!!

ListeningEar, Apr 23, 2005
  12. Rory

Rory satisfied

Chris- are the Proac 1scs the ones that are circa £1300 and are small 30cm tall standmounts?

If i'm going down this route i'm going to have to buy a good sub- was looking at some of the SVS jobbies

Rory, Apr 23, 2005
  13. Rory

merlin

So you've heard some of the newer Proacs at shows then? Nice to know that is now an acceptable level of exposure to cast aspertions on the whole range :rolleyes: FWIW, the 1sc is old school, using the older tweeter and majoring on midrange naturalness rather than outright resolution at the frequency extremes. A more musical small standmount I have yet to hear. The Reference 8 sig is the modern Tablette, building on it's strengths and all the better for it.

For outright resolution in a small standmount, the Eggleston Isabel takes some beating, the Coincident LCR is delightfully smooth and extended in the treble, and the B&W 805 Sig and Micro Utopia Be have their strengths. Oh and never overlook the Harbeths, the M30 in particular. Many options out there, the 3a has to my ears a distinct character that you either love or hate. My advice as ever is to listen to as many as possible in your setup. But don't write off the Proac 1sc - it is one of the finest small standmounts on the market when properly powered.

merlin, Apr 24, 2005
Ask a Question