anyone know...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

what the difference between technics

and 1210 turntables are....thanks

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 26, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

Will The Lucky One

AFAIK its just the colour and finish! 1210s are black whilst 1200s are silver :)

/awaits Dean, who may well prove me wrong :)

Will, Apr 26, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Will is correct.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

Thanks, Dean+Will :)

the 1200 goes for around £50 cheaper than the 1210, all for a silver top?

my rega is needing a new belt, so they are on the way, I am tempted to go for the hi torque route for a change. dunno if its as good as a rega, may be better

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

darrylfunk

hi col

the technics should be the same price .
    there are a few versions available though including a bling version.

for my night job (dj ) i use a pair of modified to the hilt technics sl 1210 mark two's with acrylic platter tops from srm tech and origin live armboards with yummy michell tecno arms on topped off with audio technica atp 2xn broadcast carts.

they sound as good as a planar 3 but cost double.

but you can rest assured they will be going round for 18 hours from thursday till saturday night and sound glorious through a big pair of mackie 1530 active 3 way beasts.

darrylfunk, Apr 27, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Ian (Data),

The SL1200 and SL1210 should be the same price but I have seen, on my travels over the years, a price difference.

The thing with the Technics SL1200/1210 are that they are a top dj deck. I use these in my dj work but you can do better as a HiFi deck. I have tried these decks in my system. The fitted arm lets it down. Also the pitch stability can be beaten by better decks. What you get is a loss of refinement, fine detail and resolution to the music. The music does not flow as well with vague extremes. Dynamics to the music can be easily beaten. This is not problem in the dj arena but may be so in the hifi arena.

Having said that, it's very robust and tweakable. The general sound is more than ok, it's beaten by many decks that cost more (did cost more).

If you are going down the direct drive route. I would look a some of the big heavyweights. Look at a Technics SP10 MkII This was a radio broadcast deck. It has a heavier platter and a higher torque motor and better offboard power supply. This has quicker stop/ start than the SL1200/SL1210. It is better built. It came without a plinth. Technics did make a plinth but you could get one make up. These can, if lucky, be picked up for under £200 to over £500.

If you can find one, a SP10 MKIII is the one to you for. This had a 10kg platter for even more torque.

I have a SP10 MKII sitting the garage. I hope to get this up and running this summer. Watch this space!

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rabruil/sp10page.html

http://www.vinylengine.com/technicssp10mkii.shtml

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 27, 2005
  7. Lt Cdr Data

darrylfunk

ooops

my sp 10 mk2 does'nt start up quicker than my 1210's.

darrylfunk, Apr 28, 2005
  8. Lt Cdr Data

RSC

Thanks for the links, SCIDB. Another satisfied SP10 user...

RSC, Apr 28, 2005
  9. Lt Cdr Data

ListeningEar

I started DJ'ing back in 1981 as I was the guy who spent all his money on vinyl, so I was king of the school disco and the electronic music scene in my area at that time.
    Used many decks over the years, early ones being Garrard but quickly getting into the Technics SL1200 & SL1210. I am pretty sure that there were no electronic mods between the two decks until the SL1210 Mk III came out but I am also pretty sure that the service manuals for both the SL1200 & 1210 are the same indicating no differences.
    Now there are a whole range of Technics clones ranging from cheap belt-drive to quite good motor drive units. Numark, Denon and now Vestax offer serious rivals to the Technics, (IMHO), Vestax being the only other manufacturer that really offers any real competition.
    Here's a link that I'v come across in the past, it offers a brief history and some tweaks for the SL's:

http://music.hyperreal.org/dj/sl1200.html

No longer DJ'ing but am happy to find that alot of my old tunes are fetching big money at the moment ;)

ListeningEar, Apr 29, 2005
Ask a Question