Anyone tried \ heard of these two tweaks?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Tim F

Tim F

Tweak one... take a 1.44 floppy disk (computer disk) and get the magnetic part and put it on top of your CD (much like statmat).

Tweak two... get some anti static spray from maplin and spray the top of the cd.

Cheers, Tim

Tim F, Aug 13, 2004
  2. Tim F

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

(1) won't work with Naim pucks, so no
    (2) - I have a Zerostat anti-static gun (for vinyl). Tried it on a CD and it made bugger all difference.

domfjbrown, Aug 13, 2004
  3. Tim F

kermit still dreaming.......

I have tried the old RA , reveal, release in the past :eek:
    I can,t remember which way round it is now , but I think the release is the anti static spray .
    I felt , at the time ,it made a difference , but it was very small .
    these days I,m not so sure .
    thing is my discs are revealed , releesed , green penned and frozen now(yep ,another dubious tweak that I read about :D ) , so it,s a bit difficult to comment on what works , and what doesn,t.
    I hadn,t heard of the other tweak , but i did own a stat mat .
    again , at the time , I felt it made a difference . but after i had to dig it out of the cdp for the second time , I threw it in the bin .
    I do have an Art CD Damper , but oddly enough , I don,t use it, as once again I,m not actually certain that I can hear a difference .
    I think the potential is there to actually hear one , maybe two of these tweaks ,(as they basically are supposed to achieve near enough the same results)after that IF they are making a difference , the gains are so small they,re undetectable .
    Or of course it,s all in my head ;)

kermit, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Tim F

Robbo

Ah the old antistatic tweaks. They work for me - I use RA Relees. It takes away some grain at the top end and makes the midrange more natural. Not a huge difference but a worthwhile one.

Robbo, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Tim F

BlueMax

Magnetism and Static has nothing to do with lasers and optics.
    Zerostat might stop the CD from picking up dust if the room is particularily dry.

The surface of CDs is transparent enough with releasing agent on for the optics to work without any probs.

As for Russ Andrews stuff, it is typical of his pseudo-science products to part fools and their money.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2004
    BlueMax, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Tim F

HenryT

Interesting, I'd never have thought of that but yes exactly like the Statmat, mind you I wonder if the magnetic material might have a subtlely detrimental effect?

I've actually got a real Statmat, the later Statmat Blue version as it happens which I got via the part-ex/upgrade scheme. I stopped using it a while back as for me I found it generally to have a negative impact on the sound. The Statmat is very good at smoothing off the rough edges, but somehow also robs a lot of tracks of life and energy.

Another thing to note about the Statmat is that they don't get on very well with VRDS mechs, they tend to cling to the clamping disc and you have to open up your CDP in orde to fish it out, hence another reason I don't use it with the currently player.

BTW, if there's enough interest I might post this out for a few you guys to try, rather like Tones did with the DeMagic disc. Anyone interested?

HenryT, Aug 15, 2004
  7. Tim F

Saab

I have the later Statmat Bluei,and it made bugger all difference,just like the Densen DeTragic

Saab, Aug 15, 2004
  8. Tim F

Robbo

The statmat seemed to do something when we tried one in Merlins system. Wouldnt use one though, far to fiddly.

Robbo, Aug 15, 2004
  9. Tim F

kermit still dreaming.......

kermit, Aug 15, 2004
Ask a Question