Anyone working in media/studying media/in possession of a media degree.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mutant, Jan 19, 2004.

1. mutant

joel Shaman of Signals

QUite a few acquaintances who did meejastudees at poly now have seriously non-shabby positions with in the industry.
    Of course, the polys in question were in/around London, and they cultivated contacts and work experience like crazy while they were there.
    London is very good like that, there are (used to be, at any rate) opportunites that don't pay well (barely at all in some cases) but will look good on your CV.
    A clean licence, foreign language skillz, and basic book keeping are very useful things to have.

joel, Jan 22, 2004
  2. mutant

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Yeah I think if go to a lesser university and work hard it will still pay off. I am hoping for a 2:1 or may be a low first when I graduate, (I will know more when I get the results back for my assignments and exams this year). I think what you study does help as well though. Computing at Wolverhampton will probably have greater respect that say Knitting and Fashion Studies at Newcastle (yes that course does exist! not sure which uni though but its certainly not Newcastle!)

I do worry about standards though, I was checking all my peers websites last night and some of them really leave a lot of be disered. There are some very good ones but not many. Unless these people improve they will leave without a degree or a bad one.

amazingtrade, Jan 22, 2004
  3. mutant

Yeah I know work experience is more important, what I was kinding of meaning that if if student A and B both have identical employment history, both have same personality, basicaly the same person. The one that went to the better uni will probably get the job.

I'm lucky being on a more vocational course because it should make it easier for me to get a job as I would require less training.

The university I am not is not exactly great (Salford - ranked 63 out 123) but it seems well respected witin employees.

4. mutant

joel Shaman of Signals

OK. So potential employee A comes along with his luverly degree and a CV that says he assisted Joe Blogs wedding photo and has done time at a repro shop. That's potentially very good, the guy will have learnt a few things (including how to make a cup of tea).
    Potential employee B comes along with his rather less starry degree, but a nice letter from, say, my old mate Helmut. This is the guy we hire.
    No employment histories are identical. Don't forget that.

joel, Jan 22, 2004
  5. mutant

I know point I was trying to make is it thats better to go to good uni rather than a bad one if you are the same person. I am not saying that a person say from Oxbridge that comes across as an arrogant twat is more likely to get the job than a down to earth funny guy who studies at TVU.

6. mutant

mutant

i'm not bothered about an allsinging all dancing i went to oxford degree (besides which, although my GCSE's were fairly good, 3 A's, 5 B's, 3 C's, i still wouldn't get in to a TOP university). I am going to work hard (can't really get financial help from my parents, they arent in that position), as all of my debts will have to be paid, and i will be paying my way through. There is absolutely no way i could afford to mess around and do badly.

I'm in scarborough, north yorks, whoever said im near to birmingham, its just that when we had to look for unis to apply to during college, that's the one that seemed to suit me best (more vocational, as opposed to 'the BBC earns so much per year, and has so many period dramas per fortnight).

I'm surprised i got some replies to this, i'm used to people thinking all media courses are a joke (not that some aren't), even though society is already heavily relying on the media industry, aswell as the other IT based industries. Thanks to all of you who have input so far - it's appreciated :)

mutant, Jan 22, 2004
Ask a Question