Aphex twin

Discussion in 'General Music' started by MO!, Jun 25, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

LINK TO DRUKQS REVIEW ON REVIEW THREAD

Tried the impossible task of doing a "review" of drukqs!

As stated before ((on the Arab strap post)) I'm working my way through some a-z favs! I prefer the idea of a new post linking to the actual review so as to keep the review thread just as reviews themselves.

So, thoughts? Anyone agree that he truly is a great composer that these classical lads should be apreciating!

I've had MOst of my aphex stuff lost to long term lending! :grrr: And whenever I go to replace it there's a few other things I want to try that are new to me! I'll get them back though.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2003
    MO!, Jun 25, 2003
  2. MO!

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Aphex Twin are the mutts nuts, although I must confess I dont yet own any albums by him, bar the "Ambient Works", which isnt too hot I dont think, but the other tunes I've heard are spot on.

Recommend me some tunes :D

PBirkett, Jun 25, 2003
  3. MO!

Robbo

Mo, When I go over to Grahams on Sunday, I will bring this album along to see what the guys make of it.

cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jun 25, 2003
  4. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Paul! I just did reccomend some tracks! A double album full of them!

Which of the ambient works albums do you have? I used to have both but only the first one now (85-92). It's one of the best of it's style i've heard. Very much chillout!

For the harder MOre full on aphex stuff "come to daddy" and "windowlicker" are the big MTV singles! With two of the best videos around! There's a cover of Come to daddy too. All done with *proper* instruments and one Mr Mike Patton (faith no MOre) on vocals! Dunno how they manage it but they pull it off!

The Richard D.James album is as good a place as any to jump into the Aphex world! This was one of the aphex albums that has since left me for pastures new.

Infact, get them all!!!

Apparently he's got over 100 hours of unreleased material!

MO!, Jun 25, 2003
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Should be interesting! :D

It's an album that, I feel, you really have to let yourself sink into to really get. It's MOre of an event than just a few songs. So there's a good chance they'll just hear the MOre chaotic tracks as just random ear lobe bashing. Still, I look forward to hearing their thoughts :D

MO!, Jun 25, 2003
  6. MO!

space cadet Far out...

The classical lads should all get Girl/Boy, it'll freak them out no end!:JPS:
    I used to have an ambient 3xlp on brown vinyl... traded it... not that it was bad, just not hugely interesting and it was worth a fair bit... and I was strapped for cash and hadn't bought anything for ages... I'm a music junkie you know... don't blame me...

space cadet, Jun 25, 2003
  7. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

ambient works 1 (85 - 92) is probably the most accessible of his stuff. ambient works 2 is moving more towards the truly abstract type of stuff that he does. druqks is just mental not rythmic in the conventional sense, random sounds popping up everywhere, atonal, sideshowbob would love it :D ;).
    personally i really like his stuff but i wouldn;t say that the classical boys should be litening, more likely to enjoy it are the death plinque jazz guys.
    if you like this kind of thing and want to hear where some of this kind of thing was born take a listen to some of eno's ambient works records (music for films, misic for airports, etc).
    there's also a compilation album of early ambient stuff from as far back as the 30's (i think) where people were messing with theramins and odd electronics etc.. can't remember the name of it though... bother
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 26, 2003
  8. MO!

sideshowbob Trisha

Works the other way too Julian. Anyone who likes the Aphex Twin's wilder stuff should definitely hear some modern free jazz / improv (this means you, MO!), because they'll almost certainly like some of it, and that way lies a whole new world of music that is considerably more satisfying than most pop music.

BTW MO, I posted in the other thread before reading this one, so I've broken you're rule about keeping the posts tidy. Sorry!

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2003
    sideshowbob, Jun 26, 2003
  9. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

ian,
    i couldn;t agree more.... the david ware is still in my rotation :duck: hope to hear some more stuff i've not heard on saturday.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 26, 2003
  10. MO!

space cadet Far out...

Agreed, there's nothing like it for sheer exhilaration! Let yourself be swept away...:)

space cadet, Jun 26, 2003
  11. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

My rule? :D Nah, just a preferance!

Funny you should mention "free jazz/improv" When I was looking for a link for the review I did on Air I came across another Air. On the Black Saint Label.

HERE and HERE

What would you class this as? There's some samples on there and sounds very innnnnnnnnnnteresting!!!!

MO!, Jun 26, 2003
  12. MO!

sideshowbob Trisha

Haven't heard either, but my research tells me it's a band of three phenomenal free jazz players (Henry Threadgill, Fred Hopkins, Steve McCall), all of whom have played with just about every great post-Trane improviser, so I've no doubt they're worth getting hold of. File under "free jazz", definitely.

Go on MO, give 'em a go, let me know what you think. If you like 'em, there's a *lot* more where that came from :cool:

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 26, 2003
  13. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MOney in the bank at midnight :D

MO!, Jun 26, 2003
  14. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Robbo. I notice that GrahamN hasn't been over to this thread asking for further Aphex reccomendations :confused:

How did it go down? Invite him over to post his thoughts ;)

MO!, Jul 2, 2003
  15. MO!

jay

MO

I picked up the Drukqs over the weekend as an intro to Aphex - Flipping heck!!!! Not immediately accessible is it :rolleyes:

Might take me a few listens :D

I recommend the latest Eels, if anyone's into that.

Jay

jay, Jul 2, 2003
  16. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Good work Jay! :D

It's perhaps not the easiest place to start if you're new to Aphex. And others will perhaps reccomend others. But I think if/when drukqs does click! WOW! It's the MOst rewarding! Keep with it, best with lights out and volume up! A true masterpiece IMO!

MO!, Jul 2, 2003
  17. MO!

Robbo

Ermm, I am not too sure Graham really got it. The others seemed to like it though, Henry put it on his list of things to get.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jul 2, 2003
  18. MO!

GrahamN

OK, time to put you out of your MOsery!

Maybe it would have helped if anyone had told me I was supposed to be paying attention to it - as I spent MOst of the time this was on cooking! However - maybe the unprimed reaction was more revealing: charged out of the kitchen crying "What the F....'s that!". No-one told me it was Drukqs until afterwards - and I don't know which track it actually was.

I have to say it did sound a lot better than on the Amazon download through the PC's (poxy Cambridge) speakers - but my impression was still that some potentially interesting higher stuff was completely dominated and overwhelmed by that ridiculous bass-track though. Although I almost always prefer acoustic stuff I'm not at all averse to electronica, but this ain't it :chop:

The bass did have quite a nice reinforcement point (where it really pressurised your ears) - towards the rear of the kitchen, i.e. through-space via a couple of rooms and separating arches and a 180 degree turn, or directly through two walls and a staircase :yikes: .

Have to say I was much more impressed by Sideshow's utterly mad EP - although to call it music may be going a bit far: sound-effects on acid maybe :cool:

Now where did I put that David Ware?

GrahamN, Jul 3, 2003
  19. MO!

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I've just bought my first Aphex Twin album - called classics. I hope its good :)

PBirkett, Jul 3, 2003
  20. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Paul! Classics has some excellent tracks on it! The opening one Digereedoo is excellent! Brings back meMOries of a miss spent youf!

MO!, Jul 3, 2003
Ask a Question